Anchor Steam Clone - Not "Fruity" like Anchor Steam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently attempted an Anchor Steam "clone" - 2-row (80%), Munich (8%), Caramel 40 (8%), Victory (4%), Northern Brewer Hops (60 min, 15 min, and WP @ 170F), Wyeast 2112 California Lager fermented at 62F.

I think the base flavors came out well, but it's really missing that... fruitiness (I get peaches) that an Anchor Steam has in a head to head comparison.

My goal is to get more of that fruitness. I'm thinking I may need to do something different with my fermentation temperature, or maybe just neet to switch from C40 to C60. Does anyone know what I might be missing?

I haven't cloned it in many years, and unfortunately I've only drank the real thing a handful of times, so not sure this is going to be super helpful. I always fermented it quite a bit warmer, say 67-68. I also used S-23, I always get fruity notes from S-23 at warmer temps.

I've been curious about the fermentation temperatures, usually warmer = fruitier but not always. Yooper's recipe (California Common - California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG) suggests 55 F, clearly on the colder side.

I may take out the Victory as well, I generally like it but I think in this beer I'm getting a rye flavor of sorts, which I don't care for, and that might be countering any fruitiness that's there. Could change it to Special Roast, not sure if it'll help or accidentally head off some other direction I'm not looking for.

Last edited:
Back