Kolsch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaner72

Reaction score
I brewed a Brewers Best Kolsch extract recipe. The OG was 1.040, the instructions said it should be 1.042-1.046. I pitched at 68 degrees and then brought the temp down to 62 degrees. The airlock bubbled for 2 days and then quite. Its been 4 days. The gravity was 1.019 today. Recipe says FG should be 1.010 to 1.013. I know patience is key here, so I plan on keeping it in the primary for another week to 10 days then moving to secondary. Ive searched alot of threads but they all seem to differ alot. My question is how long should I keep at secondary and at what temp....then do I rack to a keg to lager and for how long? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, in my opinion secondary is not needed. Just let it sit on the yeast cake until it’s done fermenting.

In regards to the OG gravity a point or two off is no big deal. It could be due temperature, the top of water wasn’t completely stirred in, it could be any number is reasons.
As for your FG it’s only been a few days. I wouldn’t have even tested it until around day 8. I’d let it sit for at least a few more days before testing. One thing to keep in mind is because this was an extract kit your FG might not decrease much more than .020. I use to get stuck there all the time and the beer turned out fine. When you test again and your still around 1.019 you can increase the temperature a 5-8 degrees and give the fermenting container a gentle swirl to help get the yeast back into suspension. Doing this might get a few points closer to the anticipated FG.

When you have a stable gravity reading go ahead and rack to your keg and lager for about 10 days, for a Kolsch I don’t think you’re going to benefit from any long term lagering.

Good Luck!

My one suggestion - skip the secondary. Do everything you need to in your primary FV.

Thanks for the quick replies....I will keep it in my primary till I rack to the keg. Thanks again.

After only 4 days, it's likely that only initial fermentation is done. It'll now slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG.

Just curious, but why is everyone saying keep in the primary? Is secondary fermentation not necessary?

Moving a beer to a secondary is a bit of old brewing information that refuses to die. Back in the day home brewing yeast wasn't as high quality as it is today. The idea to remove the beer from the yeast cake to age came from then. With today's high quality yeast you don't need to remove the beer from the cake, doing so only introduces a chance for oxidation and infection with no real upside. The only time you'd need to secondary would be a fruit beer or a big beer you'd want to bulk age for an extended period of time. Common wisdom these days is to leave the beer in the primary to finish up, dry hop included, then bottle/keg.

Back