Minimum clearance between vessels on RIMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicadrick

Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking for some guidance here. I would like to reuse an existing cart that I have to build a direct fired inline system. I am curious about minimum clearance between kettles/vessels. My system will use 3 Sankeys.

What spacing do you have on your systems between kettle/MLT/HLT and why?

the only place I think might be problematic for too close a spacing with a direct fired approach would be between the MLT and HLT. But, only during times where you would be heating liquor while the mash is underway.

If those vessels are too clse I could see heat wash from the HLT possibly raising the temp in the MLT as well.

So, I'd say at least 6".

My vessels are pretty close, 2-3" apart.

I first had them BK,HLT,MLT but the reflectix on my MLT would melt from the HLT burner.
Then I switched to HLT,BK,MLT and just needed to remove the reflectix off the MLT before firing the kettle. The problem is that its' hard to clean out the MLT during the boil because that wall still gets pretty darn hot.

Now that I have high temp insulation on the MLT, it really doesn't matter anymore.

Thanks all for the responses.

Bobby, I have a 48" refrigerator rack that I have been using with 2 vessels. It is quite flexible.
Brewsystem002.jpg

I think that if I hang the outer 2 vessels off the edge just a bit I should be able to get 2" between each.

The final version (if there really is such a thing) will have 3 permanently mounted burners, hard piped. The surprising thing about the wired rack is that while they do initially deform when first heated, they dissipate heat really well and the adjacent area as are only warm to the touch. I am planning on a 1"x1" angle tray to set the vessels on in it's final form.

P.S. I still owe you that package.

Its actually very very sturdy... My brother has 2 racks like that in his basement and he probably has close to 300lbs of junk on there at any time...

They don't warp much at all, its all built very well with triangulated support structures...

Its actually very very sturdy... My brother has 2 racks like that in his basement and he probably has close to 300lbs of junk on there at any time...

They don't warp much at all, its all built very well with triangulated support structures...

Thanks for the backup on this one Bowtie. I have brewed 10+ batches on this with BK at 8+ gallons and HLT around the same. No movement of the rack, no bends under heat.

Gila, for the final build, the brew deck height will be 10" lower.

Back