What is meant by "Green Beer"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
Would someone be kind enough to explain what is meant by "Green Beer". I've also heard that it can cause you to be a "little loose" on the exit end of things!

The name comes from the outre adjuncts. Have you ever read the Harry Harrison book, Make Room! Make Room!? They made a movie out of it called Soylent Green. It's no wonder it has that effect. :D

OK, I'm just kidding. I think it refers to beer that hasn't aged long enough to fully mature, but that is just a guess.

It will definately make you a little loose, even if it doesn't taste too yeasty, just means it needs some more time for the yeasties to fall out and for the different flavors to mellow and combine.

Even though most ferments are done at a week, there are minor malt components that ferment for a month or more after bottling. Also, some yeast byproducts get processed during the aging stage. Many people have trouble digesting these chemicals, but their intestional flora party down.

So, green just means it's not ready yet.

Back