Watery taste/sensation in freshly brewed beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.C.

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've brewed a couple dozen batches at this point and one thing I've sometimes noticed is a "watery" or a "nothing" flavor or sensation of greener beers - usually in more recenly kegged or carbonated brews
This flavor seems to go away in time, but can anyone explain specifically what causes it?

-bc

Any idea what the watery, green, or nothing beers have in common? Recipes, practices, temps... what you've said so far is about the same as "When I first crank my car it doesn't run right, but it gets better. What's wrong?" We need details.

Sorry - I guess I'd have a hard time describing it... I guess mouthfeel is part of it as well as flavor. Just sort of an empty/nothing taste/sensation where one might be expecting something. Like if "flavor" were a graphic equalizer the whole middle is dropped out (I know this doesn't help a lot... I guess I don't have any other basis of comparison). I might otherwise describe it a a flash of malt flavor that sort of very rapidly vanishes where-as other beers keep on giving/sustaining. This has occurred on several of my beers but currently it's with an Oktoberfest that I brewed and have kegged over a month ago - so this is not just occurring on thin or light bodied beers. In the case of this beer numbers are where they should be for the volume 5 gallons out of 5 gallons targeted and abv (5.6%) etc. I think I used a mash temp around 152/153f. Serving/pressurized at 10psi on the keg serving out of a regularly cleaned (bi weekly) kegerator with 6ft of line.

sensation of greener beers - usually in more recenly kegged or carbonated brews
This flavor seems to go away in time
, but can anyone explain specifically what causes it?

Am I reading this correctly? Some of your freshly finished beers taste green and tend to get better as they age a bit?

If so, I'd suggest they might not just taste green, they are green. After a bit of time they don't taste green because they are no longer green. They are then properly conditioned.

I gotta agree with @DBhomebrew on this one, not Ditka, but also I will add that when I was first making malty english milds and bitters, I found that a severe lack of *ANY* ions in my water was pointed out to me and by adding some CaCl and Gypsum they markedly imroved. "Thin flavor" was one of the hallmarks of those brews. For the lighter styles, my "empty" water is ideal. For milds, stouts, altbiers, etc, no so much.

Can’t lie, your descriptions of what your tasting is terribly vague lol

you need to give some recipes and process info here. Could be as simple as stated above that they are just green but at the same time, even my green beers have flavors that carry through the sip but just improve as they age.

Latest posts

Back