Running Jonson Control Probe into Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sily_rabit

Reaction score
I purchased a freezer that was set up as a commercial kegerator. The previous owner was using a basic outlet timer to keep the keg from freezing. I didn't like the idea, so I've added an analog Johnson Controls temperature controller. The freezer is deep enough to hold 4 kegs and the co2 tank without a collar and the previous owner already drilled a hole in the front and added one shank. I have it set up for 2 kegs right now, with plans for a third. I have one keg attached to the faucet and one on a picnic tap. Since I don't have a collar, I have the controller mounted to the wall and the probe line just runs through the lid opening. This is the analog model, so its a copper line. This really seems unstable and potentially damaging to the probe line. So, without drilling into the freezer body is there a safe and clean way to route the probe into the freezer? I don't think the lid seal will damage it, but it isn't secured down and I'm concerned about it moving around every time I open the lid.

I may be incorrect on this but i used to have that model and i think that if the controller housing is taken off, you can remove the probe temporarily.

You could run the probe through the drain spigot of the chest freezer... that would help but you would have to do what i said before... Personally just keep it the way it is until you build a collar. Or if you are going to keep it there just tape the probe line to the inside and outside of the chest freezer

Many freezers have drain plugs, if yours does then route it through that hole.

I sneak my probe under the back of the door (snicker). No condensation problems.

Back