Soda keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a quick question about corney kegs . . .

I know you can buy them new or used at LHBS but lets say a restaurant is getting them for thier soda . . . do they pay a deposit on them? I mean when they get their syrup for thier soda in corney kegs they are expected to return the keg when they are done with it right?

Reason I bring it up is because there seems to be a bit of hypocracy about "finding" a corney vs "finding" a sankey. It seems to be if you find a "corney" some people think you're a lucky bastard but if ya "find" a sankey your just a bastard.

I'm not trying to be a prick (it's just natural) but I am honestly ignorant about anything in reguards to corneys.

I'm with you. I don't really come to HBT to find out what my morals should be.

I guess it's because the corneys are being phased out, so the soda companies are getting rid of them anyway. Personally, I feel like if companies are losing too many kegs, they should raise the deposit price. I mean, that's what a deposit is for right?

I don't understand the 'double standard'. Both bits of hardware have the same status in my mind

Cornies and kegs are owned by somebody, somewhere. A retail outlet pays a token deposit on them and signs a contract to safeguard them.

The retail outlet has no legal right to sell them outright or assign them in a material sense to another party by simply passing the deposit fee from one person to another.

If they do, they may have committed fraud and or theft.

On the other hand, if a unit is 'found' behind a retail outlet and is brought home for 'safekeeping' that's theft.

If a unit is purchased at a scrap metal dealer, there's still no proof positive that the unit has been passed from hand to hand legally.

Whether any of this is a moral concern or not is up to the individual person. I have bigger things to worry about, personally. :tank:

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I guess it's because the corneys are being phased out, so the soda companies are getting rid of them anyway. Personally, I feel like if companies are losing too many kegs, they should raise the deposit price. I mean, that's what a deposit is for right?

Agreed, and a phase out with the stipulation from the soda or keg company that no deposit was required and no return was necessary is the only way I'd consider not making a good faith effort to purchase legitimately owned cornies/kegs from a reputable seller. I say good faith effort because even with an ostensibly reputable company, you have to take it on faith usually that they have a right to sell them.

Latest posts

Back