Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had it on a towel, grabbed the towel without looking, bam 946! Right before taking SG too, thankfully I've learned from past experience and had a spare.

Total: 946

My box of brew stuff was on shelf, high shelf, in garage. When grabbing it, it toppled over and things flew everywhere. 1 week ago.
Total 947.

949. All I did was remove it from its tube and it broke in my hand.

Broke my first one about an hour ago. Poor guy only had 5 batches under his belt. In honor of it, i declare my efficiency to be 95%. 9-7-13 Never Forget.

On my 3rd hydrometer in 2 years. 2 have bit the dust thus far! Thought it was just me being a clumsy oaf the first 2 times which it probably was but this last one has lasted longer than the first 2 combined

I've broken one per location (one in Vermont, one in NYC, one in CT) I always keep two on hand now. 3 hydrometers in 9 years, not to shabby considering how good I am at breaking things that aren't as fragile.

1st hydrometer broken in my fermentation bucket as it was getting the FG! I am brewing a gumballhead clone, and could not waste it because of a little broken glass... I racked to my secondary for dry hop after filtering the siphon through a hop bag, I will filter once into the bottling bucket and once more before bottling. I'm positive this is enough to filter any glass? Right? Is there any reason to dump this batch?

image-3010579778.jpg

My first, last night. Snapped in half while I was cleaning it (gently!) in the sink. The half I wasn't holding flipped onto the tile floor and shattered.

My second today (dropped in sink). Just discovered that it was 5-10 points off so not sorry to see it go ...

Just found this thread. I have broken 4 in a 10 month window. I now keep 2 on hand at all times.

1st one I dropped onto carpet, didn't break, then I stepped on it as I was looking for it.
2nd fell out of the casing when I picked it up upside down.
3rd Dropped on counter.
4th Mystery, it was just broken when I took it out of the drawer.

None yet (and good thing 'cause it's my buddy's.) A couple close calls where I thought I bumped it against something but so far so good.

1st hydrometer broken in my fermentation bucket as it was getting the FG! I am brewing a gumballhead clone, and could not waste it because of a little broken glass... I racked to my secondary for dry hop after filtering the siphon through a hop bag, I will filter once into the bottling bucket and once more before bottling. I'm positive this is enough to filter any glass? Right? Is there any reason to dump this batch?

ooooooohhh... that's painful. I wouldn't even chance that one, and I'm about the last person who would waste beer. :(:mad::(:mad: I would probably filter it (with a microfilter) before I felt comfortable drinking it.

Oh, and I haven't had a hydrometer break on me yet. Partly because I use my refractometer a lot more these days.

1st post on HBT (after many months of reading), so I feel it's appropriate that it be a broken hydrometer post. Slid right thru the storage tube and shattered on my concrete floor last night. Maybe I'll switch to a refractometer?

Add one for me after quality testing :drunk:a couple or more of my homebrews after pitching the yeast. I left it in the wine thief which I was taking to put away. I have two now in case I QC a little too much in the future.

My parents brought me my 17 year old hydrometer from their house but the tube didn't have a cap. I leaned over and....POW... Right on the kitchen tile.

BeerGrylls said:
ooooooohhh... that's painful. I wouldn't even chance that one, and I'm about the last person who would waste beer. :(:mad::(:mad: I would probably filter it (with a microfilter) before I felt comfortable drinking it. Oh, and I haven't had a hydrometer break on me yet. Partly because I use my refractometer a lot more these days.

I will filter and drink! Beer came out to perfect to waste!!!! I've dry hopped into a secondary for 7 days, just finished cold crashing and will keg today. I am absolutely confident it will be clear!!!
I'll let you know how it goes...

989 - Mine fell as I was walking up the basement stairs with too much crap in my hands - I had just used it for the first time

I go through about one a year.

Last year it was a fermenter it broke off in. I glanced away when putting it in and that was it.

This year I was teaching a class and a gust of wind took it and the flask it was in. Right off of the loading dock.

Just ordered #3 in about a 9 month period. First one broke while washing the current one's paper scale on the inside came loose...which I didn't notice until my Pliny kit from Morebeer came in at 1.053 or something...I don't think so with like 10# of LME, 1# of Sugar, AND DME!

So according to my calculations based off of the position of the moon causing high tide, our new official count is:

No?

I must be #997 then...

Dropped into a thief, must have been too hard a drop. Didn't even notice until after taking my (obviously not accurate given the circumstances) OG reading. Those damn beads are everywhere...

Double brew day on a holiday, had the glass test tube and hydrometer in my hand measuring OG, sneezed and you get the picture, test tube and hydrometer gone. At least 3 or 4 others have perished in the past 5 years, lhbs made a fortune off me.

I must be #1000 then.

Broke it while it was in my sanitising bucket. Damned fragile glass on those devices. 5 EUR cost.

Dang. I just missed the millennium! My third broken one in a year makes a grand total of...

Latest posts

Back