First lager fermenting too cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnoona

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting my first lager. The only catch is that the fridge temp is a little lower than the recommended fermentation temps. I can't seem to get the fridge warmer than 40F. It's been in there for four days and seems to be doing fine, little foamy and bubbles in the airlock about every 25-35 seconds. I think the yeast recommended 45-53F or something like that. Is that going to be a problem? Also does the primary fermentation take longer on lagers? I would normally get an ale out of the primary after 7-10 days. Any other tips I should know? Thanks so much for any help. This forum is awesome too btw.

Lagers usually take longer than ales... a few days to a week or more longer. Especially if it's fermented below the yeast's optimum temperature range. There's a possibility your attenuation could suffer, but if you do a diacetyl rest, that should finish it out nicely. Of course, unless you started the fermentation warm, you don't need a diacetyl rest, but I'd do it anyway just to make sure it's done primary fermentation. Keep in mind, too, that your fermentation temperature is probably warmer than your refrigerator temp. due to the heat created by fermentation.

PS: Welcome to the board!

My refrigerator does the same thing. I have it set to the highest temperature possible in the refrigerated section, but it never goes above 40 degrees. Try setting your freezer temperature a bit higher and you will see an increase in the box temperature. If your unit does not have independant temperature control settings, you will likely have to use a new type controller like the one suggested above.

Good Luck.

Salute! :mug:

Temp control can seem like it would be complicated because some people do wiring and such, but it's seriously as easy as plug and play with one of these johnson controllers. I've got one on my keezer but they are good for lager temps too.: NORTHERN BREWER: Fermentation Temperature Control

How well do those Johnson controllers work? How do they compare to the digital controllers?

They work fine as long as long as you understand what temp to set it at vs. what temperature you want (IIRC, it turns the fridge/freezer on at 4 degrees above what you set it and turns it off at what you set it at, so to maintain the right temp, I set it 2 degrees below what temp I want).

The one downside with these is that they don't have a switch for heating like the digital ones (if you want to control a heat source vs. a refrigerator). If anyone knows of a mod to these to make it "switchable" between hot and cold temps, I'd love to know about it.

Latest posts

Back