"no airlock activity doesn't mean no fermentaion"...but is the opposite true?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripod

Reaction score
Greetings All!

First, let me say this is the opposite of the typical "no bubbling" question...I have plenty of airlock activity.

I just boiled my first wort (which was a rolling blast by the way!) and I have a question about fermentation and the airlock. I know that you can't really trust airlock activity alone as an indicator that you have fermentation...mainly because the gas can escape in other places. The only true way to tell is to use the hydrometer. But I am curious if the opposite is true. If you still have activity on a known good seal does it mean fermentation is still going on? Let me clarify:

I have done a lot of kitchen/restaraunt work and have become very familiar with the food-grade buckets and how to completely seal them. I know I have fermentation because my batch is bubbling like a crazy boil! So gasses leaking are not an issue for me and I am quite certain that my yeasties are doing their stuff. But I have also been studying the 1-2-3 rule (which is not a hard-fast rule...) and I am wondering if I still have bubbling after week number one, is that a fairly safe indicator that fermentation has not stopped?

I know, I know...use the hydrometer. But I am trying to not open the bucket if I don't have to so I can minimize exposure to the outside world. I have an excellent seal and I have bubbling. Is it a fairly safe assumption that I still have fermentation activity?

Any thoughts, comments, or guidance from my more experienced brethren is highly appreciated.
:mug:
-Tripod

I don't think an air leak would cause bubbles from the airlock, it would only prevent them. But, the 1-2-3 rule isn't a hard rule and you don't even have to move your beer to a secondary.

But, if you're getting bubbles after 1 week, then I'd hope that it's still some yeast in there doing their part. If I was getting a steady stream of bubbles after a week, then I'd probably keep it in primary a few more days. If it's just a really slow stream of bubbles, then I'd rack it.

No, it's not true. After a while, CO2 will begin to offgas, creating bubbles in the airlock. This doesn't necessarily mean fermentation is occurring.

I prefer the 4-3 rule. 4 weeks in primary, then 3 in bottles/keg. I only secondary if there's another addition to be done (fruit/dry hops/bugs).

Tripod, I'm a fellow newbie. As you are well aware by now of there are lots of differing ideas when it comes to primary time, when to rack, how to calculate alcohol content etc. at nausia. I made up my mind to follow the 123 rule. I've had great succes with my first batch (Brewers Best micro style pale ale). If it is still producing bubbles simply wait till it stops and then check your gravity; then check three days later or whatever. I dont worry about contamination because I am an insane sanitizer. Sanitize baster right before you take hydrometer reading read it drink it or let one of your anxious buddies try it. It is really irritating that there are so many differing opinions on how to homebrew. You just got to rely on the basics. Which to me are; SANITIZE, compare your original gravity to the recipe original graviity. Pitch a packet of miracle workers, pay attention to brew cellar temperature, primary temperature- not to hot not too cold, you love your baby right? then after a full 7 days if not perculating SANITIZE baster,check gravity. If its not at the specified gravity the recipe calls for, give it three more days in primary. SANITIZE baster, if there is no change in gravity from your previous gravity reading, SANITIZE everything and rack. My second batch (Brewers Best american amber) is in secondary now. I'm pretty confident it will turn out just as good as my first batch due to my practices I described to you. Now here's a heads up for you if you decide to do a batch of wine. When you pitch your (rehydrated) wine yeast, Your bubble lock doesn't perculate like beer its crazy. I can hear it fizz like pop (thats how we say soda in pittsburgh) you'd think with all that fizz youd have tons of airlock movement? That 4 gallons will be in primary fo 30 days then in secondary another 30... Good luck with your first batch and remember, if all the varing opinions get to be too much... Grab the bottle opener!

Like PsudoChef said, you could just have outgassing. However, you could have fermentation. You really don't know. However, you are quite safe just letting it go until it quits bubbling before you take a gravity reading. The beer will be just fine in the primary.

Also, just on a related note, I tend to follow a "10-10" rule with most ales with an OG under 1.070. That's 10 days in the primary and 10 days in the secondary before I bottle or keg. The 10 days in the primary give plenty of time for fermentation to complete, a diacetyl rest to complete (to the extent it ever was necessary), and for much of the large stuff to settle out. At the same time, it is not so long that the yeast goes completely asleep, should fermentation not complete. Racking then rouses the yeast a bit to finish the job. After that, 10 days in the secondary is plenty (although it never hurt to let it go an additional week or so, should my schedule work out that way).

TL

Unless the temperature or air pressure are changing (both can cause out-gassing), airlock activity means an active ferment.

I agree. If its bubbling, there is the largest chance that it is fermenting. Depending on the type of fermentation, it may ferment for a long time. I've seen my apfelwein actively ferment for 2 weeks. If you have a normal gravity ale fermenting at a normal temperature, it is likely that you will see activity for no more than a week. If you have activity after 2 weeks, take readings to see if fermentation is still happening.

Thank you all for the fast replies! I love this group! :)

One of the things I like most about this hobby is that there is an artistic side to it. No rule is hard-and-fast and there will be almost as many unique opinions as there are unique brewers! Just like in music...

It has only been about 5 days since pitching so I'm in no hurry at all to rack. I'm not dead-set on following 1-2-3 or even using a secondary for that matter...especially since this is my first batch. But I am fascinated by the scientific side of the process and was curious if still bubbling was a good indication that fermentation has not completed. I know my beer is safe in the bucket so I DO plan on leaving it there a while longer...

I noticed more than one mention of "outgassing" and "off gassing". I can't say that I understand what that means. I'm doing some google searching...but would someone mind clarifying in plain english?

-Tripod

PS - HAPPY FRIDAY!! :tank:

Outgassing or off-gassing in this context refers to the beer releasing CO2 that has dissolved in the liquid.

Excellent, thank you! That makes a lot of sense...so bubbles could just mean that the last bit of CO2 is escaping rather than being caused by more fermentation. In my case, it has only been about 5 days so I'm probably still getting fermentation but it is good to know that there is more to look out for... It doesn't sound like a dangerous thing though but it is good knowledge to have.

Sometimes it is just easier to get a simple, one-line explanation as opposed to hours of pouring through books. Homebrewtalk is the best!! :rockin: Thank you all for helping yet another noobie make sense of it all. I'll let you know how the progress is going.

-Tripod

Back