Brewing soon, need some advice on directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggy

Reaction score
I'm still rather new to this whole brewing thing.. this next batch will be my 5th, but I wanted to go a bit bigger so I picked up a barleywine kit(extract and specialty mix).
Problem is the instructions that came with it are... well.. not quite right I think.

"After 1 month of primary fermentation, transfer into a glass carboy for an additional 6-8 weeks. At this time add your champagne yeast and let sit for an additional 6-8 weeks."

I have 2 questions.
#1 I assume it means transfer to carboy, add champagne yeast, and let sit for 6-8 weeks.. not transfer to carboy for 6-8 weeks, then add the yeast, then let it sit 6-8 more weeks. Would I be correct in this? I cant see any reason for letting it sit for so long then adding the extra pack of yeast.

#2 The champagne yeast. When adding it to the secondary, should I just add the pack of dry yeast to the carboy before/after adding the beer, or should I re-hydrate it like when using dry yeast for the primary fermentation? From what I've read around here, it seems like any extra water added after brewing should be kept to a minimum, so I'm not sure what to do with it.

I say re-hydrate and add when you rack. Re-hydration only requires 100 ml, so we aren't talking serious dilution.

Latest posts

Back