Bottle breaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
Ok so I bottled my first batch on 1/31. I opened on that was only half full (bottom of bottling bucket) just to see what was going on. The top inch of the bottle broke right off. Is it possible to cap to hard? I am using a wing capper. I have opened a lot of commercial brews in my time and have never had this happen.

I've seen it happen before, usually on the 22 oz bottles. It could be any number of issues... could be capping too hard, there could have been a flaw in the glass, maybe a stress fracture from repeated carbonation/degassing, maybe you cranked it funny with the bottle opener. I wouldn't fret about it.

Ditto to what BigB said. I've had this happen three or four times over the years. I've always attributed it more to invisible flaws in the glass than anything I did. If you start noticing that lots of your bottles are doing this, you might want to go a little easier on the capper.

I wasn't even sure it was possible to cap hard. I will what happens when I start drinking them regularly in the upcoming weeks. Is it possible I bought inferior bottles?

I wasn't even sure it was possible to cap hard. I will what happens when I start drinking them regularly in the upcoming weeks. Is it possible I bought inferior bottles?

Certainly possible, but I still think it's more likely that you hit the one in a thousand chance of having your first bottle ever break on you. I was mostly joking about capping too hard. If you get more broken bottles from this batch, then it's worth pursuing further questions, but at this point I don't think it's necessarily anything.

I would think it would be more of a flaw in the bottles then in capping to hard although I guess it could happen. If it happens to more bottles I would get in touch with whom ever you got the bottles from.

Back