Good news and bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:ban: I got my truck started:ban:

but it's still -3f . . .

Maybe instead of going to my brothers grave I'll just e-mail him
(he's account is still active over a year later and his wife and kids say they never used it /shrug)

Can't resist rubbing it in!

Mon: 81/44
Tue: 80/43
Wed: 78/45
etc etc.

:p

PS - you can reverse rub come summer.

yeah yeah yeah dB... :p

Up to a balmy 7. With 2 to 4 of the white crap due in tomorrow.

(cough cough)
I may be coming down with something, I better work ahead this afternoon just in case... ;)

Ize

Ize said:
yeah yeah yeah dB... :p

Up to a balmy 7. With 2 to 4 of the white crap due in tomorrow.

(cough cough)
I may be coming down with something, I better work ahead this afternoon just in case... ;)

Ize

Wow. It's only 1 here.

But there's no wind and the sun feels warm on my skin. There are about a million reasons I can think of as to why I feel sorry for people living in regions that don't get this cold.

Cheesefood said:
There are about a million reasons I can think of as to why I feel sorry for people living in regions that don't get this cold.

I'm sorry because they are in my spot. I'm supposed to be in the warm places, they're supposed to be here. ;) :D

Ize

Ize said:
I'm sorry because they are in my spot. I'm supposed to be in the warm places, they're supposed to be here. ;) :D

Ize

Nahh...

Think about it. How much nicer are people when it's this cold? How more willing are they to give the homeless some money, and not just a buck but maybe a $5 or a $10? Notice how people in bus stops huddle up together for warmth instead of spreading out?

When it's this cold, how much more likely are you to stay at home with your family instead of running around? People don't shop when it's this cold, not unless it's mandatory.

When it's this cold, we check on our neighbors and offer to help the elderly. We hold open doors for each other. We help mothers get their strollers inside faster.

Midwesterners are characterized as being nice. It's probably because we're lucky enough to be forced into it.

desertBrew said:

etc etc.

Yeah but this cold weather has killed that nasty flu bug that was going around pretty hard core . . . also kills off a LOT of the bugs. As much as I piss and moan about it I dont mind getting a real nasty cold spell like this once or twice a year . . . makes me appreciat summer ever more, keeps my wort chillers supplied with nice cold water year round, and when you are roasting at 100f+ all summer I'll be whinning about 90f for a month or 2 :p.
(you can only get so naked and then if ya go out that way you get arrested . . . I can always add more clothing and never fear the cops)

How more willing are they to give the homeless some money, and not just a buck but maybe a $5 or a $10?

Well in my case none . . . I can honestly say I haven't given a homelss guy 1 cent out of my pocket for over 11 years. One thing I dont understand about the homeless (I mean the full time bums, not the oh **** I just got the boot kind).
WHY THE F*CK DO YOU LIVE IN WISCONSIN?!?!?
Are you stupid? OK I can understand the summers but FFS in late August early September I'd be heading to Florida

Well, the snows gone, the winter rains have finally started and I'm laying out the grid for planting 100 Ponderosa Pines.

Anyone have a good recipe for Douglas Fir ale? No spruce here, but oak & DF I've got acres.

Cheesefood said:
Nahh...

Think about it. How much nicer are people when it's this cold? How more willing are they to give the homeless some money, and not just a buck but maybe a $5 or a $10? Notice how people in bus stops huddle up together for warmth instead of spreading out?

When it's this cold, how much more likely are you to stay at home with your family instead of running around? People don't shop when it's this cold, not unless it's mandatory.

When it's this cold, we check on our neighbors and offer to help the elderly. We hold open doors for each other. We help mothers get their strollers inside faster.

Midwesterners are characterized as being nice. It's probably because we're lucky enough to be forced into it.

Good points. I didn't even leave the house this weekend. I was outside long enuf to get wood for a fire and take out the trash. It does have some good points.

Ize

Pumbaa said:
Well in my case none . . . I can honestly say I haven't given a homelss guy 1 cent out of my pocket for over 11 years. One thing I dont understand about the homeless (I mean the full time bums, not the oh **** I just got the boot kind).
WHY THE F*CK DO YOU LIVE IN WISCONSIN?!?!?
Are you stupid? OK I can understand the summers but FFS in late August early September I'd be heading to Florida

Good points. Well, I'm fortunate enough to have the occasional $5 or $10 that someone who's freezing to death could probably use to help themselves live a little longer.

Yeah, why do homeless people live in Wisconsin? You'd think they'd hop in their car and drive somewhere warm.

desertBrew said:

etc etc.

how true...

Im in jeans and a t shirt today for the first time in a long while. Springtime is here!!

I tell ya what too, this was a miserable winter. It actually snowed twice this year, and I had to wear a light jacket when I went outside. I almost couldn't stand it anymore.

:cross: :cross: :cross:

Cheesefood said:
Nahh...

I agree with all of that except the shopping part. That part's bull. When I was cutting meat our busiest days were when there was a snow/cold scare. Every moron with a truck had to come to the store and stock up as if they were getting shut in for a month. Gawd am I glad I'm not in that racket anymore.

BTW I brewed outside today, since the local school districts were wimps and shut down the schools and I stayed home with the kids. I didn't feel that cold, but it took my King Kooker AND two heatsticks to get ten gallons to boil.:cross:

I really don't (didn't) mind those really butt ass cold days if you aren't forced out into the elements. 5 degrees with no wind really isn't that bad. And for those that never lived in that weather, it's almost always sunny when below zero. When the wind is kicking up like yesterday I think I heard is when it sucks. Or the car starting thing if you don't have a garage. What I didn't like about living up there was the 25-40 degree cloudy days that went on for two+ weeks and not seeing the sun forever. The slop of driving around after a snow storm the following days too. Personally, the sun thing is what got to me the most. If I want to get cold, I'll drive up to Flagstaff for a while. Or play in the snow in the Tucson mountains.

Four seasons and cold weather are the underlying causes of industrialization and Western Civilization.

If you can subsistance farm all year round, there is no need to create surplus for trade etc.

Cheesefood said:
Well, I'm fortunate enough to have the occasional $5 or $10 that someone who's freezing to death could probably use to help themselves live a little longer.

It's not that I dont have the $5 - $10 bucks to give them it's I refuse to do it. I admit I have become much more jaded since I got on the job (and I didnt think it was possible) but I'm sad to say I know exactly what they do with that $5 - $10, and after the do it I get to go out and pick their partly frozen partly burned arse up and try to save them. The saddest part is we even have a term for it up on the department here . . .

Roasted Bumsicle - noun - a homeless guy that gets piss arse drunk when it's this cold and passes out into his camp fire gets 2nd and 3rd degree burns on some of his body and the rest gets frost bite and frozen.

It was -14 on the thermometer in my wife's car this a.m.
With a 14 mph wind that calculates out to -37F wind chill.

Know what that means? I think I need to pop open another bourbon porter. :mug: Prost!

Why the f**k, I ask you, would you not want to live here?

Cheesefood said:
Good points. Well, I'm fortunate enough to have the occasional $5 or $10 that someone who's freezing to death could probably use to help themselves live a little longer.

Yeah, why do homeless people live in Wisconsin? You'd think they'd hop in their car and drive somewhere warm.
Or at least take one of those super saver flights.

I'll be another one to rub it in. When I left the jobsite today at 2:00 my truck said it was 92. When I got to the office a half hour later it still said 88. :D

Brewsmith said:
I'll be another one to rub it in. When I left the jobsite today at 2:00 my truck said it was 92. When I got to the office a half hour later it still said 88. :D

Ugh, you can have it. I only have to put up that hot **** on the jobsite for around 3 months. I'll take today's weather over that anyday, and I work outside a lot.

A guy who works for me here is originally from Pittsburgh area & has lived in Tucson for 24 years. He's moving to Neenah, WI in the spring. Weather seems to wear on many people no matter what type you live in eventually.

Fox Sports Midwest salvaged my crappy attitude about the cold and the impending snow this evening...

Re-running Opening Day At Busch last season. :rockin:

Ize

Back