sanitizing ingredients for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Reaction score
I want to make a pumpkin ale this fall where the cooked pumpkin and the spices are added to the secondary fermentation. How do I sanitize the pumpkin and spices so that I don't contaminate the secondary? thanks!

Most people add pumpkin / spices during the mash and boil. People have a lot of success with pumpkin ales this way and don't have to worry about sanitizing.

You might like to listen to the brewing network's show on winter spiced beers. There are some tips on using spices in general.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php
In particular, I believe he says one thing you can do is boil up a cup or so of water, dump your spices in a bowl or something, and pour the boiling water on them, and let it sit for 20 minutes or so before dumping it into the fermenter.

for spices, you can boil them a while into a 'tea' of sorts, then cool it a little and pitch just the tea into the secondary and rack onto it.

can't help you with the pumpkin...pumpkin ale may as well be called 'make malkore barf ale'. it has zero appeal to me.

thanks for all the help! Many of the online recipes for pumpkin ale say that the pumpkin flavor comes out stronger if you add the pumpkin to the secondary as opposed to adding it to the boil. They also warn against using canned pumpkin as it makes a huge mess (hard to rack out, etc.).

Back