Help: banjo burner issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseHair

Reaction score
I have a a banjo burner(the blichman setup) and first time around it worked perfectly out of the box and then i went to brew today and and i get nothing but a yellow flame my tank is full and ive tried everything else please help.

Have you adjusted the oxygen intake baffle? It sounds like you're getting too much oxygen.

On these burners, usually yellow flame = oxygen starved. Blue flames that lift off the burner = too much oxygen.

Definitely check the air valve, it should be roughly half open.

Otherwise, I've heard of weird things occasionally happening with regulators and tank safety devices that cause even weirder flame patterns. Try shutting off the tank valve, disconnecting the regulator, then reattach the regulator, make sure it's totally closed, then slowly open the tank valve. Then slowly open the regulator and light the burner...

Cheers!

i did all that and the closest thing to blue flame i got was no oxygen the second it was even slightly open it would shoot flames around my kettle

That sounds right. Disregard my too much oxygen comment.

On these burners, usually yellow flame = oxygen starved. Blue flames that lift off the burner = too much oxygen.

Definitely check the air valve, it should be roughly half open.

Otherwise, I've heard of weird things occasionally happening with regulators and tank safety devices that cause even weirder flame patterns. Try shutting off the tank valve, disconnecting the regulator, then reattach the regulator, make sure it's totally closed, then slowly open the tank valve. Then slowly open the regulator and light the burner...

Cheers!

That would be too high a pressure from your regulator.

yeah i know but its nothing but small yellow flames at low pressure. I spent an hour today trying different combinations of thing and taking it apart and re-lighting it i cant figure out the problem.

How long between uses was it?

Unscrew the orifice and remove it, the spring and air shutter and see if a spider built a nest inside the venturi...

Cheers!

Back