Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IH8UM

Reaction score
I am doing my first all grain brew tonight (Pale Ale). I am at the stage where I add hops to the boil, but my recipe says to dry hop after fermentation. After fermentation I planned to bottle. So when do I dry hop?

Thanks,

Rich

Everyone plans to bottle/keg after fermentation.

Let it ferment however long that you were going to let it (3-4 weeks?). Then rack it into a secondary carboy/bucket and add your dry hops. Let it sit for an additional 7-14 days, then bottle.

Some people dry hop right in the primary as well (after fermentation). I've never done that method, but you'll find plenty of threads on it here.

Brew strong has a podcast all about dry hopping, where they mention firestone walker dry hopping just prior to the end of primary fermentation...

That said, I just did a 2 hearted clone (NB's Three Hearted Ale) but dry hopped on the 5th day into fermentation (vigorous 3 day fermentation) right into the primary. I'll be pulling it tomorrow which will make 7 days. Guess I'll see how it goes. I copied this guy here, a fellow beer geek for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ferment 10-14 days in the primary. Rack to a secondary and dry hop for another 7-14 days. Longer the better. You can dry hop the primary after the majority of the activity is done if you like but you won't get as big a hop nose, in my experience.

I'm going to dryhop a pale ale today.
Just throwin them in the primary and planning to bottle in 5-7 days

After fermentation, I added priming sugar and bottled. I bottled this beer on November 21. I have opened one bottle every 7 days and it is still flat as can be. It tastes really good, just flat. It even had more carbonation in it at the bottling stage.

What could cause this?

Thanks,
Rich

I did some reading last night and realized this might be the problem. My first two batches of beer were stored in the basement during the summer and were probably about 68-70. Now the basement is about 60. I have moved all the beer upstairs to 68-70. I hope this works. I will continue checking every 7 days.

Thanks,
Rich

Back