Beer & Wine in the Same Kegerator? Also, cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgonzo2k2

Really Awesome User
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hope this is the right section for this, didn't think it really belonged in the wine section...

Basically my team at work currently has a 2-tap kegerator that we keep filled with commercial beer to "boost team morale." Our team has grown significantly, and not everyone likes beer (I know, I know), so I've been tasked with also keeping wine and cider around.

Instead of buying bottles and dealing with all of that, I would really like to expand to a second kegerator and try to keep cider and wine on tap. I've done a bit of research, and it seems that wine is dispensed from the keg using "beer gas," which led me to a thought.

Can I buy a 2nd kegerator dedicated to beer gas, use a dual regulator, swap out one of the faucets for a stout faucet, and then use that kegerator for wine and stouts on nitro?

I could then use our old kegerator for CO2 and use it to dispense beer and cider.

Is it really that simple?

Our current kegerator only has a single regulator though, so would I need to swap that out for a dual one to dispense both beer and cider?

Thanks for any help, gang!

Never heard of someone dispensing wine on beer gas. Nitrogen yes, beer gas no. Beer gas is usually a 70/30 or 75/25 blend of N2 and CO2, whereas wine is pushed with straight N2. The reason is the CO2 in beer gas will dissolve into solution whereas the N2 is barely soluble, so beer gas = carbonated wine.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, really appreciated. I got the beer gas info from here:

http://www.micromatic.com/Wine_On_Tap-cid-16163.html

Specifically these two points:

- General preference is nitrogen (N2) over argon.

- Blended gas combination of 75% Nitrogen/25% CO2 (the most agreeable blend for a variety of situations) readily available because Guinness is in many
establishments and Guinness uses this gas blend.

They then go on to say to use a pressure of 4-7 PSI.

I suppose I should just give them a call and see what they say.

Hmmm, still doesn't seem like a good idea to me but those guys definitely have more experience at it than I do.

One thing I hadn't considered, serving temp. Wine is typically served quite a bit warmer than beer. That'll also reduce the amount of gas in solution.

A stout and wine in the same kegerator would work if you had a white wine. Stouts and whites are good around 50F. If you want red wine then just get bottles of that. An air conditioned office should keep it at the right temperature. Chilling bottles of red would be a crime. My mom throws red wine in the fridge and I have to give her a sermon about it. Get a dual regulator and set the wine to a low PSI (under 5) and the stout to around 30 PSI. White wine is quite good with a very light carbonation. Keep your line lengths short on the wine to allow it to pour at a decent rate.

You can keep your beer and cider kegerator with one regulator (with a splitter). Cider is fine at beer carb levels.

I could have sworn that i posted on this thread allready...???...

Anywho, i run everything on beergas from hard cider to all styles of beer to cranberry wines. They all are fine.
RDWGetDrunk...... :p

Thanks, everyone! The team is going to be stoked about this!

Just to be sure, I need to get a Nitrogen/Aragon regulator with a CGA580 connection, correct?

Back