Best hop flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_clean

Reaction score
Im doing a new IPA i only have 1/2 oz oh hops for flavor,i know dry hopping gives flavor and aroma.Will boiling the hops for 15 minutes be better for flavor or dry hopping.

Im doing a new IPA i only have 1/2 oz oh hops for flavor,i know dry hopping gives flavor and aroma.Will boiling the hops for 15 minutes be better for flavor or dry hopping.

If you're doing an IPA, you need the hops! What's the recipe? If you're short on hops, maybe the recipe would be better suited to be changed to a different style of beer.

Partial mash.
2 Lbs. 2-row
1 LB 60L
1 LB Marris otter
5 Lbs. extra light dry extract
1 OZ Summit(90 minutes)
1/2 OZ Centenial
So maybe its just a pale ale

My opinion: +1 on Pale ale. Your summits are too much for pale ale and not enough for IPA. If it were me, I'd use about 3/4 ounce of the summit to get around 35 IBU and then split the remaining between 10 min and 0 min additions, and forget the dry hop unless you can get more Centennials while it's fermenting. But I like Simcoe, and I understand Summit tastes like Simcoe. I personally think Simcoe and Centennial are a nice combo, so I would try Summit/Centennial. If dry hopping, I'd keep it light. Also, if you decide to go with a pale ale I'd reduce the extract by a pound to keep it more balanced.

Just my .02, it's all up to the brewer. I just find that the more stages of hop additions you have the fuller the hop flavor will be. I find if I just do 60 minute bittering + dry hop, it really leaves me wanting something in the middle. Dry hop is nice, but I think the late additions are more important and only dry hop if you have the late additions as a "foundation".

Cool thanx guys,i was trying to keep the budget under$30.I had 1/2 OZ. of centenial left over from my last dry hop IPA,i've never dry hopped over 1/2 OZ(Just not sure its worth it).I wanted a more malty flavor and ive tried the last few batches,but i realize now thats only gonna happen cutting back on the bitterness.Guess. i'll spring another $3 for an ounce of centenial,i hate Cascade but love palisade,and centenial(Weird i know).And ive never used dry extract,i figured id try it since i hear it can make the lightest color beer.

Latest posts

Back