Swap-O-Rama #3, ANTI LOCAL!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mhurst111 said:
If you live in ohio, then my package is waiting at the front door...

Oh baby, I live in Ohio! The only thing is that I left Ohio this morning and currently 15 hours into a road trip in South Dakota. I keep waiting for the wife to send good news! Oh the suspense.

Oh baby, I live in Ohio! The only thing is that I left Ohio this morning and currently 15 hours into a road trip in South Dakota. I keep waiting for the wife to send good news! Oh the suspense.

Where at in SD? Could be some good beer near you.

SamuraiSquirrel said:
My package landed today!!!!!! Very excited to try all of these. Got an awesome combo of beers here. Plenty to drink fresh and plenty to age and drink on occasion. Thanks!!!!!

Your very welcome man, glad you like them :mug:

Camping in badlands. I guess sturgis is this week. Bikers everywhere!

You came at the busiest time in SD! If you make it to Rapid City, The Firehouse downtown is pretty good. If you stop thru Sioux Falls on your way back, Monks downtown has a lot of options.

I think for next round their should be a trade minimum or maybe some sort of link posted up on how to package boxes via youtube or maybe write ups. I've seen way to many posts in this thread that have come up busted and have been the exception members or more to trading members. I may be alone on this but it deters me from wanting to get in on these.

There have been a few questions via pm and on the thread about shipping. Here is a link to a HBT primer on shipping beer:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/tutorial-shipping-beer-93042/

Please keep in mind if your box gets broken and is undeliverable, you are responsible for RESHIPPING another 200 oz. AND the payment to ship again! So, to put it in perspective, $10-15 in shipping supplies to ensure safe delivery is nothing compared to buying 400 oz. of beer and shipping twice.

My quick and simple advice, bubble wrap every bottle. And stuff packing paper all around the sides of the box. Hold it shut, shake it, if you hear anything move then you need more packing material. Rinse, Repeat.

You mean like this?

MrNickVT said:
I think for next round their should be a trade minimum or maybe some sort of link posted up on how to package boxes via youtube or maybe write ups. I've seen way to many posts in this thread that have come up busted and have been the exception members or more to trading members. I may be alone on this but it deters me from wanting to get in on these.

Are people not getting their beer? I packaged my first box very well. Tons of bubble wrap, garbage bags, peanuts. I sent out another box 24 hours after getting the new one back. You can't control what shipping companies do. FedEx told me all boxes are dropped 3 ft.

I think a packaging how to would be a good idea for everyone. To my knowledge, deadlines aren't being missed and boxes are being resent. Give people a break before you start excluding them.

two_hearted said:
Are people not getting their beer? I packaged my first box very well. Tons of bubble wrap, garbage bags, peanuts. I sent out another box 24 hours after getting the new one back. You can't control what shipping companies do. FedEx told me all boxes are dropped 3 ft.

I think a packaging how to would be a good idea for everyone. To my knowledge, deadlines aren't being missed and boxes are being resent. Give people a break before you start excluding them.

Oh you're right because I was saying to exclude people. I only gave an opinion on what was going on and a suggestion on how to possibly make the success rate higher. People are sending out 200+oz packages and have never sent anything out before. This is TheMans setup and he will do what he wants.

I think the only person mrnick mentioned excluding was himself.

Theres going to be losses and breaks. Were shipping big boxes of liquid filled glass. Its part of what we do.

Maybe having a 5 trade minimum on top of the 3 month, 100 post requirement isn't a terrible idea but i think someone with 500 swaps could still suffer a casualty.

mikeysab said:
I think the only person mrnick mentioned excluding was himself.

Theres going to be losses and breaks. Were shipping big boxes of liquid filled glass. Its part of what we do.

Maybe having a 5 trade minimum on top of the 3 month, 100 post requirement isn't a terrible idea but i think someone with 500 swaps could still suffer a casualty.

Anything is possible. I think it's kind of like riding a motorcycle. You don't just jump on a zx-14 as a first bike. You start smaller like a zx-6 or maybe smaller, then work you're way up.

milliser said:
Wow!!! The two 5 left dipa is really good thanks for that val!!!

That is a delicious brew. If you enjoyed that you certainly like the double knuckle sandwich.

Anything is possible. I think it's kind of like riding a motorcycle. You don't just jump on a zx-14 as a first bike. You start smaller like a zx-6 or maybe smaller, then work you're way up.

You may have a point. I just leave it up to the individual as to whether they think they can pack well enough to make the journey. If the quantity required for any of these swaps feels like too much for a first timer, id urge that individual to wait for another round.

Having said that, as long as the person is honest and reships, I wont judge.

A fair idea.....I am one of the damged and having to resend. I've shipped a number of times in the past to contests and friends and never had any issues. But I've never sent more than 6 twelve ounce bottles before. I still don't have the original package back but in hindsight I think the actual box I picked may not have been thick/strong enough for the weight. Sides were all well padded and all bottles a couple layers of bubble wrap. I shook and dropped it a few times at the house to make sure everything was tight and made no noise before shipping. But I didnt have enough ziploc bags to do every bottle and thought Id still be okay. Hard lesson to learn. I've rebought beer and resending today........

You may have a point. I just leave it up to the individual as to whether they think they can pack well enough to make the journey. If the quantity required for any of these swaps feels like too much for a first timer, id urge that individual to wait for another round.

Having said that, as long as the person is honest and reships, I wont judge.

A fair idea.....I am one of the damged and having to resend. I've shipped a number of times in the past to contests and friends and never had any issues. But I've never sent more than 6 twelve ounce bottles before. I still don't have the original package back but in hindsight I think the actual box I picked may not have been thick/strong enough for the weight. Sides were all well padded and all bottles a couple layers of bubble wrap. I shook and dropped it a few times at the house to make sure everything was tight and made no noise before shipping. But I didnt have enough ziploc bags to do every bottle and thought Id still be okay. Hard lesson to learn. I've rebought beer and resending today........

Sometimes it doesnt matter how well you pack. Put it in the right hands and it will get broken lol

How about some good news to lighten this place up... anybody have a package landing today? We need some excitement!

I checked the tracking on my original shipment again, just to see what it says now. It actually says "out for delivery," again. Would UPS have removed the non-alcoholic portion of the package and delivered it? Or would they have changed their mind and delivered it anyway? If they're delivering the whole package, then my recipient will get a lot more beer than I had originally planned, as I dropped off the replacement package at Fedex on friday.

My package gets delivered to someone tomorrow. I hope nothing is broken after seeing all of those posts...

Just had an idea for a future trade. It may have to be limited or have multiple groups, but each person would pick their favorite local beer or two and send it to all other participants. If groups were 6-10 you would wind up with 6-10 of the best beers from around the country.

Just had an idea for a future trade. It may have to be limited or have multiple groups, but each person would pick their favorite local beer or two and send it to all other participants. If groups were 6-10 you would wind up with 6-10 of the best beers from around the country.

I like this idea. The only issue I could see with it is the cost of shipping since you would be shipping to 6-10 people. Otherwise I think its brilliant cause you will get more variety of location instead of a peak into a specific place.

Beer purchased, repacked, double boxed and dropped off at UPS. Expected delivery a week later than the original expected delivery date. Someone's long wait will end Thursday.......

The bottles have been bought and should be packaged up tonight. I was really able to score on some of the IIPAs I was able to get so someones in for a treat (If they're into that kind of thing):mug:

I checked the tracking on my original shipment again, just to see what it says now. It actually says "out for delivery," again. Would UPS have removed the non-alcoholic portion of the package and delivered it? Or would they have changed their mind and delivered it anyway? If they're delivering the whole package, then my recipient will get a lot more beer than I had originally planned, as I dropped off the replacement package at Fedex on friday.

I've received a broken package before, it was broken after the air flight from cali so they delivered it anyway instead of sending it back across the country and it came in a new box with all of the bottles that didn't break...all but 1. Bubble wrap in all smelled of stale beer. Thought it was really funny how they clearly state it in there TOC that's its prohibited and yet they actually paid some guy to take everything out of a beer soaked box and repackage it for delivery.

Typical UPS shenanigans. Let us know what actually happens!

Back