Ale yeast at 50F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madinaman

Reaction score
Looking to ferment a brown ale this winter, but my basement is about 52 degrees this time of year. Are there any ale yeasts that will slowly chew through a 1.069 brown ale at that temp? I don't mind if I have to keep it down there for the long haul. Just looking for some feedback.

Any reason you can't bring the fermentor up into the warmer part of your house for the first three or four days? That's what I do. My fermentation corner is about 53 right now.

Depending on the strain of yeast the low 60's is about right. I would be worried about the yeast going to sleep that low or it taking so long to get started that a bad bug could get a toe hold.

you could use a lager yeast and turn your brown into a lovely bock....or move upstairs. if you could get to the high 50s you could push an ale yeast i think if you had a big starter. the ol' rubbermaid tub with water and aquarium heater might do the trick.

just throwing out some idears

Depending on the strain of yeast the low 60's is about right. I would be worried about the yeast going to sleep that low or it taking so long to get started that a bad bug could get a toe hold.

I have a heating system to get mine going - starting at 52 is really hard, those yeasties just want to sleep.

I have a heating system to get mine going - starting at 52 is really hard, those yeasties just want to sleep.

that's how i feel on cold winter mornings, too. i used to live in a house with no insulation or central heating in the mountains. the mornings were like 45 degrees. couldn't get out of bed

Kolsch yeast (WY2656) is about the coolest fermenting ale yeast around. But I don't think it works below ~55. If you pitch at say 60F, and wrap it really well with a sleeping bag to keep it warmer until it takes off, it might work for you. It should self sustain temps during active fermentation. You might even have to take the insulation off. With fermentation in the mid 50's, the Kolsch yeast will taste very lager like and will have few of the fruity/wine like overtones that you get in the low 60's. If you haven't tried Kolsch yeast, you shoud give it a go sometime. It's in my top 3.

52 is a tidge warm for a lager, and you may not have a means for lager conditioning (35-40 for 4-8 weeks). Or as stated above you could ferment upstairs.

stop with the lager FUD. 52 is not warm for a lager. it is actually a very good fermentation temperature.

I would ferment upstairs, but the lady likes it around 75, and I work long days, and wouldn't be able to monitor temps in a swamp cooler very well. Appreciate all the feedback...

I routinely do ales with nottingham at 54 degrees. its super clean tasting that low. Once fermentation starts it creates its own heat.

I routinely do ales with nottingham at 54 degrees. its super clean tasting that low. Once fermentation starts it creates its own heat.

nottingham is an exception before it says it can be used as a lager yeast, but not every ale strains will do that. In fact, not much ale yeast will ferment at these temps, and even if they do, i'd not be sure abour the results.

Well if you can't ferment upstairs, so take a lager yeast, and make your nut brown ale a brown lager

Kolsch yeast (WY2656) is about the coolest fermenting ale yeast around. But I don't think it works below ~55. If you pitch at say 60F, and wrap it really well with a sleeping bag to keep it warmer until it takes off, it might work for you. It should self sustain temps during active fermentation. You might even have to take the insulation off. With fermentation in the mid 50's, the Kolsch yeast will taste very lager like and will have few of the fruity/wine like overtones that you get in the low 60's. If you haven't tried Kolsch yeast, you shoud give it a go sometime. It's in my top 3.

52 is a tidge warm for a lager, and you may not have a means for lager conditioning (35-40 for 4-8 weeks). Or as stated above you could ferment upstairs.

Agree 100% with this,I have a spotted cow clone going at 57 degrees right
now with 2565.It started at 63 with a crazy fermentation for 3 days.It has
now calmed down a bit and is chugging nicely at 57. -excellent yeast-

Cheers

nottingham is an exception before it says it can be used as a lager yeast, but not every ale strains will do that. In fact, not much ale yeast will ferment at these temps, and even if they do, i'd not be sure abour the results.

Well if you can't ferment upstairs, so take a lager yeast, and make your nut brown ale a brown lager

Well he did ask if there were any ale yeast that would do it, so I pointed out one that would.

I agree most wont.

What about a Cali common? Also I just did a scottish with Wyeast 1728- 55- 70 degrees is what it states but it fermented from1.062 to 1.016 in 2 weeks at 52 degrees ambeint and was reading 62 degrees on the carboy temp strip(wrapped in a carhart parka). Just put it in secondary yesterday and it was tasty already.

What about the Cry Havoc strain? I haven't used it but it apparently works in an extremely wide range of temperatures. Whatever you end up choosing, be sure to pitch plenty. Any yeast working at cool temps needs a bunch of buddies around.

What about the Cry Havoc strain? I haven't used it but it apparently works in an extremely wide range of temperatures. Whatever you end up choosing, be sure to pitch plenty. Any yeast working at cool temps needs a bunch of buddies around.

I found the cry havoc strain to have trouble with flocculation without cold or extended conditioning. I think the steam beer strains are a better choice, those drop out nicely, really really nicely and in pretty short order.

I am sure that somebody has tried Pacman at 52 as it is known to be excellent at 58.

I have personally had Pacman slowly, but fully ferment apple cider in my fridge. I am talking 4 weeks to fully ferment and best to drink while still sweet. I expect apple cider has simpler sugars than your wort, so I don't really know what the limits are for wort.

Back