Help diagnose my keg line problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
So I am having a problem with one of my keg lines. It is pouring out nearly all foam and when it settles my pint is only half full.

Here is my set-up: The problem is with my line #1. It is not a pressure problem because lines 2 and 3 are all under the same pressure since they are connected to the same distributor and I don't have problems with those taps. It is also not a line length problem as all of my lines are 5 feet and this didn't happen with a previous keg on the same line. As for temperature this could be a problem as I don't (yet) have a fan inside of my kegerator, but it doesn't get better after successive pours.

The only thing that I can think of is that a few months ago I had an accidental freeze of my kegerator since the temp probe fell out. It could have been that the beer inside of the line expanded while freezing and caused a small crack in the line. Although the line did not pour all foam after it thawed out, and I do not see any leaking beer from around the line. It is a porter so I would see the dark beer pooling on the bottom somewhere.

Any suggestions to this dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Did the beer in question freeze when you had the probe problem? If so, the lower temps could have caused the beer to absorb more co2 and become overcarbonated. I had that exact problem with a kolsch when my old fridge decided to ignore my temp controller and drop well below freezing.

Otherwise, have you thoroughly cleaned your lines and tap? Any kind of stuck particles/crud could cause the beer to foam up. I've also read about people having a crack in the liquid dip tube that causes difficult to diagnose foam issues.

Good luck figuring it out. Foaming issues are one of the only downsides of kegging.

Did the beer in question freeze when you had the probe problem? If so, the lower temps could have caused the beer to absorb more co2 and become overcarbonated. I had that exact problem with a kolsch when my old fridge decided to ignore my temp controller and drop well below freezing.

Otherwise, have you thoroughly cleaned your lines and tap? Any kind of stuck particles/crud could cause the beer to foam up. I've also read about people having a crack in the liquid dip tube that causes difficult to diagnose foam issues.

Good luck figuring it out. Foaming issues are one of the only downsides of kegging.

Well the beer did freeze. I don't think that it is an overcarbonation issue since I didn't have foam problems immediately after the freeze. I haven't done anything with the lines or tap since this is the same keg of beer since the freeze. After I kick the keg I will do a thorough cleaning of the line. I'll be sure to double check the out dip tube to see if it may have cracked because of the freeze.

Interesting post since this is almost the exact same issue that I have. I will be sure to check the poppet. I don't want to disconnect the out line incase it is a stickey poppet and then have beer shoot out of the outlet. Do you think that it is just sticky or is there a need for a brand new poppet?

Just remove the CO2 line & relieve the pressure, now you can open it.

Is it sticky or need new? No clue I used a poppet out of another keg.

The poppet in mine wasn't my problem. I had a NEW faulty disco on mine.

Back