Dropped yeast vial into wort; beer tastes yeasty. Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pym99

Reaction score
When I went to add the yeast to my fermenter, I accidentally dropped the entire vial of White Labs into the wort. I know what you are thinking, and no, I was not drunk when this happened :)

The vial wasn't clean; straight from homebrew store, to my fridge, into my wort. Well, all I could do was let it go and see if it caused problems. So, I let it ferment out, and it tasted fine after 10 days, so I went ahead and kegged it.

Now that it's done conditioning, however, it tastes very yeasty to me, and I assume that whatever bacteria got in when I dropped the vial in have just had extra time to multiply, and so now the beer tastes off even thought it didn't earlier.

Or have I just not given the beer enough time to settle since I moved it (2 days or so)?

If you kegged it and are drinking the first pull......its gonna have the potential to be be a bit yeasty.

I doubt anything happened to the beer from this. If it did, it wouldn't taste yeasty. I think Green has it, your first pull pulled a lot of sediment.

There is often some extra mud on the bottom of the keg.

Your beer is probably fine.

It's yeasty not because you dropped your yeast vial in there, it's just that the yeast hasn't settled and the beer is more than likely still green. SO relax....People have dropped much more than their vials in their beer and it's turned out fine.

Check out these stories and see. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

You are connecting two seperate issue together.

I'm more curious as to why your pouring your white labs vial right into the wort? Shouldn't a starter be used for these vials?

I am sure you can still get beer but I would imagine your ferment times are a bit longer?

The beer was a 1040. Palmer (in How to Brew) says that for less than 1055, you only need 50-110 billion cells, for 1055-1065, it should be 110-170.

There are supposed to be about 100 billion in a White Labs vial.

I've never done a starter, so I can't say whether that would speed things up, but it's always worked fine. Some English-style brewing techniques even call for skimming the yeast off the top to slow down fermentation. I don't do that, but I figure since I'm brewing English styles the vial alone is fine.

Nah man, you're just over-thinking it. It's the sugar pill effect. You're just tricking your mind in to thinking that the beer is a little off because of the mistake. I'd say to stop worrying about it and RDWHAHB.

Latest posts

Back