D-rest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Hi, I am brewing a dark lager which is chugging along nicely at 10/11c

The OG was 1050, it should be at 1020(75%) later today at 1022 now.

I know I have to d-rest now for 48 hrs BUT is it

Rest while slowly raising temp, over 48 hrs, to room temp then rack & lager
or
first raise the temp to room temp then rest for 48hrs before racking and lager

Sorry if this sounds daft but you don't learn if you don't try (my case ask the experts) :)

Tanx in advance

When I D-rest I just move it to a room temp spot for 48 hours. I'm sure your other way will work too. Try both and see what you like. Gives you a reason to make more beer lol

If you bring your beer up to d-rest for 48hrs-ish then lower/crash to lagering temp, you will have far less yeast and trub mass in your lagering vessel. That is, after doing the d-rest in the primary and dropping temp to lagering temp, rack to lagering vessel.

Brought it up to 60f and it's going crazy. You'd swear the yeasties have gone mad on the beer :)

How long was the ferment before d-rest? lol someone should ask :p

Edit: I checked, and it seems to be May 6 when you started. Too soon for d-rest imo, you've really only had 7 days of fermenting, on a lager, possibly under pitched

I started a lager on the same date using 2 packs of s23 and it's just beginning to actually take form. By that I mean that some pronounced flavor is showing through. Last week it tasted like 5 alive lol.

I've got 2 more weeks to go for certain.

Pardon the imposing. did you reach your 75%?

Krausen or airlock? Likely off gassing. When temps rise co2 releases. Combined with the yet-to-completely-attenuate ferment, it probably would seem to be excessively excited.

Hmmm confused

I understand the off gassing I was just kidding about the yeasties having a party in my beer :)

The OG was 1050
Yesterday morning 1022
Yesterday evening 1020 (75%)

Brewed 5th may am, 10 days (and not finished yet) Am I wrong with my info? I was under the impression to d rest at 75% for between 48-72 hrs then slowly reduce temp back down to 50 until finished, rack to lagering vessel

Some advice would help greatly

Hmmm confused

I understand the off gassing I was just kidding about the yeasties having a party in my beer :)

The OG was 1050
Yesterday morning 1022
Yesterday evening 1020 (75%)

Brewed 5th may am, 10 days (and not finished yet) Am I wrong with my info? I was under the impression to d rest at 75% for between 48-72 hrs then slowly reduce temp back down to 50 until finished, rack to lagering vessel

Some advice would help greatly

I'm just jealous that I still have to wait:(

ThePonchoKid said:
I'm just jealous that I still have to wait:(

I'll report back whether it was right time or not. It'll taste good or it'll taste ****e :) I promise I'll tell the truth

How did it look and taste when you were testing it? Mine is super cloudy and pretty nasty tasting, but not rancid

ThePonchoKid said:
How did it look and taste when you were testing it? Mine is super cloudy and pretty nasty tasting, but not rancid

It's cloudy but still has a bit to go & lagering will help that.... Taste wise it's quite nice, a little sweet but at 1.020 that's to be expected again when it hits 1.010 that should lessen. I'll keep an update for u.. It's a dark lager by the way.

Are you lagering in a keg, or secondary? I pulled mine out last night with gravity at around 1.15 Because I'm using a bottling bucket as a primary, I think I'm going to cold crash over the weekend, transfer to keg and leave it in the fridge for 6 weeks

I want to do another really soon, to change up a few mistakes I made at the beginning and to see the difference, but I don't think I'm going to bother until I can afford setting up a second fridge.

ThePonchoKid said:
Are you lagering in a keg, or secondary? I pulled mine out last night with gravity at around 1.15 Because I'm using a bottling bucket as a primary, I think I'm going to cold crash over the weekend, transfer to keg and leave it in the fridge for 6 weeks

I want to do another really soon, to change up a few mistakes I made at the beginning and to see the difference, but I don't think I'm going to bother until I can afford setting up a second fridge.

I'm lagering in secondary in the fridge, lowering the temp since this morning should be down to 50 this evening then into fridge at as cold as it will go (1c tested). I've been promoted to brewing out in the garage :)so I'm starting a fermentation chamber on sat so I'll be using that from now on, 4' x 3'6 x 3'6 split into 2 chambers, 1 cold for lagers etc and one for Ale's etc both temp controlled.

My 1st stc 1000 temp controller and new shiny pot arrived today. Wort chiller and new burner arrived yesterday so I'm like a kid in a candy store. Next 2 brews are Orfy's hobgoblin and London's pride.

D-rest was for 2 1/2 days, then lowered temp back down for lagering. Moved to secondary today, FG was 1014 (a little higher then expected) but it tasted fantastic-and clear as day . flat & cold but you could taste the roastyness of the chocolate malt...... I'll lager for 5 wks (og. 1050) then bottle using a 1/3 pack of Nottingham in the bottling bucket (tnx yooper). Really looking forward to serving this to lager loving friends, just to see their faces when I tell them lager can be dark

I think you are right. You want to do the diacetyl rest after the growth phase (so no off flavors are created), but before activity stops. 75% of the way to final gravity should be fine. How fast you get to 75% is just a function of pitching rate. I pitched yeast into a czech pils last saturday (pitched at 45 F and fermented at 50F) and am just finishing up my diacetyl rest today (at 68F). I'll leave it there at 68 until next week and then keg it and wait about a month before I drink it.

Back