First High Gravity Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runninjoke

Reaction score
I have brewed my first High Gravity Beer (og 1.103) one week ago, and have made a mistake. I did not use a starter, and just pitched WLP004 straight out of the tube. Fermentation did start overnight and went crazy for 2.5 days, and has since slowed. I generally don't "peak in" to see how it is doing, and I usually leave my fermenting beer alone far past the prescribed, week to two weeks (will probably let this one sit for 5-6) before taking any readings.
My questions are:
What can I do to ensure a complete fermentation?
Should I transfer to secondary, or leave it in the primary?

I'll drink anything I make, however I've been over-acheiving lately, and would like to keep the streak alive.

Thanks for your responses.

may be worth peaking in on this one. thats quite a bit underpitched and personally I'd rather know sooner than later if it attenuated enough. you can try gently swirling the fermenter to rouse the yeast and/or warm it up a little to try to get more attenuation out of it.

if u havent seen it yet, i'd give this a read before your next big one: http://beerdujour.com/Howtobrewabigbeer.htm

I checked the gravity, and after 7 days from pitching, it is down to 1.050. Do you think I'm still on track for a beer this big?

seems a bit high, what temp are you fermenting at? also, whats the grain bill look like?

Fermenting at 65-67.
12.5 lbs Dark LME
1 lb Brown Sugar
.5 lb Crystal Malt
.25 Barley (steep)
.75 b;ack patent malt (steep)

hmmm, you should finish around 1.03-1.035 so theres still some ways to go. those temps are definitely fine, so i guess just rouse the yeast a bit for now and warm it up a bit if you want. hopefully its just going slow now, but in a week or so if you're still high, you may need to pitch more yeast if it tastes too sweet. did you give it a taste when you checked it?

Malty and somewhat sweet.
I'll give it a swirl a couple times a day. Unfortunately the wife won't allow this in the living space of the house so it has to ferment in an unheated closet.
Thanks for the link and the advice.

Back