Propane Fitting Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
What's the easiest way to connect a banjo burner to 1/2" black gas pipe? I wanted to use these stainless hoses but the burner fitting is 3/8" flare and the pipe is 1/2" NPT. I can use a hex bushing that converts 3/8" NPT to 1/2" NPT but I heard using npt fittings on flare is a no no. I can't find a flare to NPT connector anywhere. What is everyone else doing to make these connections?

I'm a big fan of compression fittings myself. I have a very ghetto system, but if I were to upgrade; I'd likely just use all 1/4 soft copper with appropriate fittings.

Isn't black pipe threaded NPT? I'm planning on using 3/8 copper tube between flare fittings (one on the burner oriface, the other on a needle valve) to connect the burners. I've heard compression fittings were the no-no on gas systems.

EDIT: Just re-read your post. Are you looking to thread an NPT fitting on to the flared part of a flare fitting? I didn't think so, but that would definitely be a no-no (if its even physically possible).

I have three conversions going to the orifice.
Starting with 1/2" black pipe male thread
All of these are brass
1: 1/2" female to 1/2" male fitting
2: 1/2" male to 3/8" MFL
3: 3/8" FFL to 3/8"FFL
4: 3/8" MFL to orifice
5: 3/8" Female thread into burner.
They are all Watts but I forget the part #'s.

Just take the female pipe adapter off the hose and you will find a flare connection underneath that fits the burner, male side goes into the gas shutoff valve.

I'm not aware of a female flare to pipe fitting. You will need two fitings.

You need a 3/8" flare swivel nut and a 3/8" flare to 1/2" pipe adapter. both of these can be found at Lowes. Get the flares tight and do a leak test with Sherlock or soapy water.

Be careful if you intend to connect flex line directly to the 3/8" flare as the flex lines are sometimes fine threads or a slightly different flare. I would only use the adapters that came with the flex unless you are sure.

Flare fittings are running threads and you cannot use pipe fittings as they are taperd threads. They will screw on but will not tighten.

Is there a 3/8 flare to 1/2 npt on that site? I didn't see it

Instead of using hex bushing you can use a bell reducer which is fine for gas plumbing. Like this one:

http://www.murrayequipment.com/iteminfo.asp?Manuf=BIC&Part=R1/2X3/8

The 1/2 inch female npt end of the reducer goes on the threaded end of the 1/2 pipe. You attach a (male flare connector) 3/8 npt to 3/8 male flare to the 3/8 npt opening in the other end of the bell reducer. Part 48F-6-8 from Portage Specialty:

http://www.portagespecialty.com/custom/Flare.html

Then you can screw in the female flare end of your flex line to this male flare end.

You can also use these gas flex lines with 3/8 inch flare fittings on both ends:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/gasconnectors.html

One female flare end goes to the burner and the other female flare goes to the male flare end that is attached to the reducer bushing, that is attached to your 1/2 pipe. Problem solved!

John

Oh yea the female flare swivel elbow 3/8 to 3/8 part number 166FSV-6-6 from Portage

http://www.portagespecialty.com/custom/Flare.html

is an excellent fitting if you do not want to bend your flex pipe to much into a semicircle. When you attach the elbow to the male flare end you then have more of a "L" shape with your pipe instead of a severe curve in your flex pipe (depending on your plumbing setup). If you buy the copper gasket 2GF-6 you will have no leaks in any of your flare fittiings, they work great I promise! I also use nylon gaskets in my connection fittings with my CO2 tanks to my kegs to guarantee no leaks.

Back