Is there anyway to use a wort chiller with a spary faucet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Is there anyway to use a wort chiller with a spary faucet?
thumb2.php

The head of the spray faucet should unscrew, leaving a threaded hose that you would have to find/make a suitable connection with.

I have the same type of faucet but I think mine is a Delta. Where the hose adapter would screw on is flat on the bottom of my faucet. I'm going to stop at Home Depot today and ask them if there is some way to do it.

The nice new faucets do not use the aerator that unscrews, so the old option of screwing in an adapter with hose threads is out the window.

There is another way.

Go under your sink and turn off the cold water angle stop. See if the lav supply is ridgid or if it is flexible. If it is flexible, you are golden. If not, you could always replace the ridgid lines with the "speedy" flexible supplies (not a bad idea).

The braided supply lines are 3/8 compression x 1/2" FIP, and can be anywhere from 1' to 4' long (3/8 C at the stop, 1/2" FIP at the faucet shank). You will want to get a ball valve in line to throttle the water, but you could disconnect the 1/2" female end of the flexible supply from your faucet body (again, turn the angle valve off first), and re-attach it to a 1/2" male IPS x 1/2 barb adapter. Then run some vinyl tubing, with a BV in line (will require one 1/2" IPS BV, plus two 1/2" Male IPS x 1/2 barb adapters), all the way to your chiller. If you chiller is 1/2" od copper, the vinyl tube will slip right over it and attach with a hose clamp - if the copper is smaller a couple more fittings will be needed.

Re-open the angle valve under your sink when you are ready to start chilling, and throttle the flow with the in-line ball valve. You do not want to throttle from the little supply valve under your sink, because it is an open/close valve, and if you monkey around with it too much, and it breaks, you will have a bigger headache.

To be clear as possible, you are by-passing the faucet all together, and treating the supply under the sink kind of like an indoor sill cock. When you are done chilling, just disconnect the supply line from the chiller set up and re-attach it to your faucet.

Joe

Like it was said before, some of them have an insert for an aerator, that you can remove and plug a Kitchen Sink to Garden Hose Adapter .

In my previous apartment, the faucet shower was a one body plastic thing. No way to plug anything out of the shower. But fortunately the shower line had a quick disconnect. So I bought the same line from a part supplier, cut it to connect it to the chiller. That way I was able to disconnect the shower, and connect the chiller.

In the current apartment things are much easier: the water hose is not far from the kitchen, so I just bring it inside.

The nice new faucets do not use the aerator that unscrews, so the old option of screwing in an adapter with hose threads is out the window.

There is another way.

Go under your sink and turn off the cold water angle stop. See if the lav supply is ridgid or if it is flexible. If it is flexible, you are golden. If not, you could always replace the ridgid lines with the "speedy" flexible supplies (not a bad idea).

The braided supply lines are 3/8 compression x 1/2" FIP, and can be anywhere from 1' to 4' long (3/8 C at the stop, 1/2" FIP at the faucet shank). You will want to get a ball valve in line to throttle the water, but you could disconnect the 1/2" female end of the flexible supply from your faucet body (again, turn the angle valve off first), and re-attach it to a 1/2" male IPS x 1/2 barb adapter. Then run some vinyl tubing, with a BV in line (will require one 1/2" IPS BV, plus two 1/2" Male IPS x 1/2 barb adapters), all the way to your chiller. If you chiller is 1/2" od copper, the vinyl tube will slip right over it and attach with a hose clamp - if the copper is smaller a couple more fittings will be needed.

Re-open the angle valve under your sink when you are ready to start chilling, and throttle the flow with the in-line ball valve. You do not want to throttle from the little supply valve under your sink, because it is an open/close valve, and if you monkey around with it too much, and it breaks, you will have a bigger headache.

To be clear as possible, you are by-passing the faucet all together, and treating the supply under the sink kind of like an indoor sill cock. When you are done chilling, just disconnect the supply line from the chiller set up and re-attach it to your faucet.

Joe

Dude, thanks!!! :mug: Guess who's going to the lhbs later today to buy a wort chiller!

Somebody buy this man a beer!!

Back