Hydrometer accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexg

Reaction score
I accidentally used my hydrometer in my fermenting bin without sanitising it. The beer is at it FG and I have only used the hydrometer once before and it was rinsed afterwards. Will it have contaminated my brew?

Who knows. Maybe. Maybe not. Just do as you would have done if it were sanitized and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Monitor your beer in case.

No, I've done worse and have yet to infect a beer, especially at FG. The alcohol will help protect against nasties.

It's good that you are aware of your sanitation malfunction though. You will get better about those brainfarts as your brewing progresses.

Let your beer sit in primary for ~ 2-3 weeks. Then bottle or keg. If, by that time, it looks, smells, and tastes OK--then you should be fine. If it doesn't, then tell us what's going on. Until then, empty some commercial bottles for your next batch and don't worry.

Back