Need a yeast recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfavors

Reaction score
I am planning a batch for the SWMBO inspired by New Belgium's Sunshine Wheat. The beer is a light, crisp filtered wheat. It tastes very fruity, even apple flavors to me.
I was looking for a recommendation for a yeast to help with this estery, fruity profile. Maybe an abbey or kolsch yeast??

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Abbey or kolsch might work well. Even something neutral fermented a little high might work. I also thought you could use a wheat beer yeast and try to battle it's low flocculation with clearing agents, longer secondary, or even cold crashing before bottling? I've never tried it, but it might work, and then you'll get the most authentic flavor profile.

I like the wlp400 - it is the hoegarden strain I think.

I agree with this. However you have the joy of it being summer and having access to the WLP410 which is in the Platinum series.....

Just used this on a Wit and it is spectacular! Highly recommend this yeast.....

You might consider an English strain to get the fruity ester profile you want... just an idea :) 1318 might be a good one.

DregAddict said:
even cold crashing before bottling?

Thanks for this idea, I will definitely try this when I bottle my wheat in a week or so. Ill just stick the whole carboy in the fridge for a day

Back