Killed my enzymes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
Trying our BIAB in the stove while hanging our with the kids. Walked away for about a min with heat on high. Needless to say after coming back and stirring the mash the temp was damned near 175dF. I hav a five gallon pot im using and had space for about another pound of grain that i added when temps cooled down. Any one have experience with overshooting the temps of mash and adding grain/enzymes? Should I mash for 2 hours? I don't have any Bean-O. Will the addition of 1 lb of grain be sufficient enough for the saccharification rest? Uhg

Definitely mash longer with that extra pound. No, it's not enough, but it will assist. Hopefully the enzymes only got partially denatured.

Do you have any iodine for a conversion test? Or just take some wort and measure the gravity. If it's anywhere near where you expect it to be, you're safe.

However, it may still be loaded with dextrins, since beta-amylase (the one that chops off the fermentable ends) is the first one in the saccharification rest to denature. It's likely going to have a full body and residual sweetness.

What beer are you brewing?

Last edited:
I do have iodine and plan on doing the test. Its an imperial stout so i hope i can still see it. My plan is at least a 2 hour mash ans stirring every 15 min to increase the enzyme contact. At 20min in it was already tasting sweet.

It takes time to denature all the enzymes. A minute or two above 170 F isn't going to kill them all. My bet is everything will be just fine. Mash for 90 minutes if you want to be safe, then there's no question.

Well i would say that the 170 temp was held for at least 30 min before i could cool it down.

Conversion is fast, chances are most was converted by the time they denatured.

I did a bunch of small, 1/2 gallon mashes in a "preheated" oven and overshot a few of them at around 170. It was a busy afternoon keeping track of 8 of them, sparging and lautering them. They were staggered, but too close. Yup, some ended up a bit chewier than intended but very good for the test otherwise. I did notice I had trouble clearing a few, even after cold crashing for 2 weeks they were still cloudy. I bet the dextrins played a role in that.

Well i would say that the 170 temp was held for at least 30 min before i could cool it down.

Oh. Well that is kind of a bummer. With an extra pound of malt..... maybe you'll be alright. You might indeed want to mash for several hours to make sure. Two hours might be enough, I don't know. I do think it should turn out drinkable, just don't know how much body it will have. If you have time to mash even longer, it wouldn't hurt to mash for 3 or 4 hours, if you can.

Rdwhahb
I would guess most or all of the conversion happened before you were able to overheat the mash....since you had the heat on I assume you were trying to raise your mash temp?

What was the temp when you first added the grain?
This matters most IMO.

Back