having trouble transferring to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
So once my boil is done I am having trouble transferring my wort to the fermenter. I used 3 oz of hops on my last batch and they clogged my auto syphon. I tried covering it with a hop sock and using the whirlpool method to no avail. What should I do? Is that what "false bottoms" are for?

are you starting with the auto siphon in the top and slowly working it down? false bottoms are normally used in conjunction with valves in the pot i think, i don't see how it would help with using the auto siphon... you could wait a little longer than normal for the trub to settle out and then start your siphon from the top where there is likely to be less stuff and move it down as you go.

are you starting with the auto siphon in the top and slowly working it down? false bottoms are normally used in conjunction with valves in the pot i think, i don't see how it would help with using the auto siphon... you could wait a little longer than normal for the trub to settle out and then start your siphon from the top where there is likely to be less stuff and move it down as you go.

no, I never really thought about doing that(duh)

Save yourself some trouble and just dump it into your fermenter hops and all. All the gunk will settle out, and you'd be aerating the wort by dumping it instead of siphoning.

Save yourself some trouble and just dump it into your fermenter hops and all. All the gunk will settle out, and you'd be aerating the wort by dumping it instead of siphoning.

Agreed.

Or you could just use tubing to siphon.

Good luck!:mug:

In your situation I would put the hops in the hop sock during the boil, or at least some of them. I routinely use the socks for the early and mid-boil additions, they work well as long as you don't try to overstuff them. Up to an ounce or so per bag works fine.

Pour it through a strainer into your bottling bucket, then use that to dump it into your carboy? Just make sure everything is sanitized and it should work.

I never had any problems using a siphon and whole hops, and I never used an additional filter. I did whirlpool, and gradually lower the siphon as the level dropped.
Nowadays, I still use whole hops, but I have a false bottom, a spigot, and a CFC. Only once did I have a problem with that. (I forgot to add the false bottom before adding the hops. :eek:)

-a.

I sanatize a small pot and use that as a laddle until I get about 1/2 of the cooled wort out of the boil kettle. Afte that I simply dump the remaining wort into a strainer, wich acts double duty as a filter for the hot break and hops, and as an areator. Seems to work fine. I also purchased a "LARGE" funnel for my carboy from Midwestsupplies.com.
5545.jpg

Back