What beer do you still buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to drink it all the time at a bar called Ashleys in Randolph VT, and the kegs never lasted long, so they must be doing something right. Maybe it doesn't like to sit too long in kegs?

I've had it at a place in Manchester NH (name escapes me now) and it isn't quite as good as I remember, although to do a proper test I'd have to get some from NH and bring it to VT with me and do a side by side. I don't recall it having a buttery or oxidized flavor, but I'll have to give it another run.

Could be that it's not popular where you are drinking it and it's beyond peak/over aged? I would immagine some level of inconsitancy as it is unfiltered and the brewery is rather small (they make two beers, the ale and a seasonal) but nothing as severe as your comments make it our to be.

Next time I'm up visiting my parents in mass I'll head back to that bar in Manchester and have a few pints with your comments in mind; sad thing is I don't have any "beer buddies" in mass/NH to bounce comments off of.

Most of the times I've had it it's been in NH where the kegs drain fast. Idk, maybe I'm just sensitive to it, or maybe it's bad luck. I avoid it like the plague nowadays.

Lots of beers I haven't tried, but the ones that I buy with some regularity are McMenamins' Nebraska Bitter and their Black Rabbit Porter. Mainly because we go to Science Pub about once a month. Wife always buys a Ruby (Raspberry Wheat).

I buy all kinds of beer...often. If it's just for me, it's usually a single or sixer of something that I've never tried. If I'm throwing a party, I buy some macro lager and serve it right alongside whatever's on tap. If it's for a friend or group of friends, I get 'em something I know they'll like.

Just today I bought a 12 pack of Miller Light as a "Thank you." It was well received and appreciated. Know your audience - you aren't necessarily obligated to "educate" everyone.

There's usually some Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald in the fridge, as well as whatever their seasonal is (Nosferatu, Christmas Ale). They're doing some great things over there, for sure.

dukerutledge said:
I live down the road from switchback. I love it when it is good, but their product is highly inconsistent. Sometimes it is downright delicious, sometimes it is watery and sometimes it is a mess. At its best it is a bit chewy, but refreshing with a nice fruity ester undertone.

I'm coming to visit! I used to work on Flynn ave, litterally across the tracks from switchback; I miss that beer, almost as much as I miss the wee heavy from VPB.

Yuengling Lager....I live 30mins from the brewery so there is a bit of hometown loyalty. There is also a great place near me called Union Jacks Inn on the Manatawny. The only "regular beers" they have are Yuengling Lager, and Miller lite. The other 200 or so are craft brews from all over the world. It's nice that almost any style I want to try is only 15 mins away!!!(great food too) And it's on the way to the LHBS.....life is good:mug:

I had a glass on tap a few months ago in N. C. Man that was the worst beer I've ever tasted. I could only get a few sips down. Never again.

I like the stubbies and the beer from Sierra Nevada. Been buying a sixer now and then. Specially since I had a bad batch of Rye and now perhaps a bad Red Ale. Tumbler and torpedo are pretty good.

I buy the seasonals from most breweries that I like. Or if I get to a nice bottleshop I pick up some bombers of thing I have yet to try. I also buy my share of sours, just had New Holland's Farmhouse Hatter and it was awesome!

I, like a lot of others, go into Specs and just browse and pick up things I haven't tried or just staple beers I like to have around, like Indian Brown from DFH, or Organic Wit from NB. Also seasonal offerings like Pumpkin ales and such. Really just whatever strikes me as interesting or maybe tasty.

Just tried a bomber of Double Brown from a brewery called Clown Shoes that I really enjoyed last night.

-Eric

Tommy Keegan does do a great job. Hurricane Kitty is a rock solid beer - never turn one down. All the Captain Lawrence brews are superb as well.

I'm a big fan of the Oskar Blues stuff. Dale's Pale Ale is quite affordable for a great beer.
I also like most of the New Belgium stuff. Fat tire is another good Amber Ale with an affordable price tag.

I will go into my local craft beer store and stand in front of the new beer selections for a very long time debating over which new beer to try. Last week when I got paid I bought several Belgium beers, as I just finished listening to a podcast on Basic Brewing Radio about BYO Magazine's Belgium Brewery Tour.

Guinness in the can with the widget.
Oland's Export Ale.
Propeller Bitter.

That's about it, but that's about all I ever bought even before brewing.

Like a few others have said, I think I actually buy more beer now than before I started brewing. I buy a lot of Jolly Pumpkin, especially Oro de Calabaza and La Roja. That stuff is liquid gold - 12 bucks a bottle, and it's still a bargain. It's nice to drink a good sour without having to wait a year.

Anything I haven't yet tried. Drinking new stuff will spawn ideas and keep you thirsting for something different.

I call it research :rockin:

Usually this. Or just a something I really don't feel like having 5 gallons of sitting around.

The second part of that statement is usually irrelevant though. 5 gallons of a style is typically not enough for me.

I mostly brew session beers. So I buy specialty beers that I would only have one or two of at a sitting or share with someone.
Imperial Stouts
Imperial Reds
Big Brown Ales
Trappist Ales
Seasonals
Anything from Cigar City. They make amazing beer.

I love my homebrew but I always like to try new and different beers. One of the best things about beer is the variety. I can go into any store that sells craft brew and imports and find something new, different and intersting every time.
You can even take buying beer further by cellaring. I recently purchased a 4 pack of Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine. I drank 2 of the bottles and I am holding on to the other 2 for a later time. I really enojoy seeing how much a beer changes over time.

I always stock miller high life or PBR and typically supplement with whatever craft beer i'm feeling at the time. New Belgium is a relatively frequent go-to for me as their seasonal beers are always new and interesting and they are relatively cheap compared to the other good microbrews.

We get cases and cases of free beer from the local dist. Stuff they are throwing away, like Miller High Life, 32 oz, Miller Chill. Last year we got over 100 cases of Miller Wheat, Miller Blonde and Miller Red, I have never seen these for sale and they werent really that bad... But I still buy Evolution and Dogfish Head, our local breweries

I stock my fridge to pad my pipeline. Personally, I like SN Torpedo. My wife likes Deschutes Obsidian Stout (and I don't blame her). Both of these are good solid brews and readily available for about 8 bucks a six pack. So besides home-bottled brew, that's what you can find on hand at our house.

Bombers are getting way to expensive around here, over 6 bucks each in many cases. Hey, I've got kids in Middle School. For the occasional splurge, I'll drop by one of the local microbreweries and fill up a growler. I mean, either a half gallon of fresh craft beer for 8 bucks, or 22 ounces bottled beer for 6. It's not a tough choice.

I still buy a lot. I have to pay homage to the masters. Sierra Nevada and DFH to name a few. Dogfish has some many off the wall brews that its kind of hard not to buy them. I also buy yuengling when I want to have a session. I brew and I buy.

+1 on the Guinness in the can. The last beer I bought was a case of Raging ***** IPA which was nice. Pretty much buy whatever I'm in the mood for or I haven't tried yet.

beerloaf

I really love our newest Maine beer, Baxter. They make a great pale ale and IPA. And Shipyard's Chamberlain Ale is an exceptional winter brew.

I'm with you on Shipyard... I probably buy more of their beer now (I'm a sucker for their IPA and Old Thumper) that I'm brewing than I did before I started. Same for Sebago.

Baxter, though - I want to like it, but I'm not seeing what all the fuss is about. Not that it's not good, it's fine. Luke is an exceedingly pleasant guy, and he built a beautiful brewery, and I wish him great success, but for $9, I expect... I don't know... more. I like that he's on the canning bandwagon, that's pretty cool.

Lately I've been buying a Doppelbock by the name of Sled Dog. It's made by Wagner, a winery / brewery in the Fingerlakes (east shore of seneca lake). It's very good tasting beer and recommend it if you can get it. Check it out if you get the chance.

I also buy and drink a Bavarian heffeweizen import from Beers of the World or occasionally with colleagues in Munich (I work for a German based co.) when the opportunity arises.

I'm always trying new things to expand my horizons or to find something I want to imitate in the future. I also like to have a few bombers or 750 mL bottles of good ageable beers for those special occasions.

I tend to buy things I can't make, or don't want to take the time to make or are just special. Russian River stuff is an easy choice, pricey but worth every penny. I only have one temperature control chamber so I don't do many lagers because they limit the number of times I can brew. Gordon Beirsch makes some great lagers at reasonable prices so I buy those. Real German taste, fresh. (Just check the date on the bottles) I buy a wider variety of beers now, but smaller amounts. Typically 1 or 2 bottles at a time.

Early today I picked up a Pliny and a Collaboration not Litigation Batch 5.

Latest posts

Back