Brett and Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
I am going to brew an American brown ale and for fun I will oak some of it and then add brett to a small portion of the oaked beer. However, I am wondering if I should add the oak before or after the brett? I dont know if I making all this up in my head, but I am wondering if the Brett will "eat" the oak flavor compounds? I guess a lot of people add brett in an oak barrel, but I dont want to leave the oak on for more than like 10 days. Any ideas? Thanks

Don't "bretted" beers normally get barrel-aged after the Brett has been introduced to the beer? I say add the brett first...then add the oak at some designated later date...

(1) No, the brett won't negatively affect the oaking flavor.

(2) If you only want to leave the oak in for ten days, I would put it in at the end; the additional alcohol in the beer will pull more flavors out of it and, because the brett will have taken off by then, you can re-use the brett-innoculated oak in a future batch if you want.

brett can eat some of the sugar compounds (cellubiose) in oak. since you only want it on the oak for 10 days, def brett first since that needs months. why only 10 days of oak though? unless its chips (I'd recommend spirals or cubes), that will barely impart anything

I've done 3 beers now with oak spirals and 10 days gets me where I want to go (....that's what she said.....). Maybe I should do less oak and more time?

I say feed the Brett some oak. No matter what the Brett is going to take a long time to do its thing. I would say use less oak and use cubes instead. The extended aging will give a much deeper oak flavor.

Latest posts

Back