NOOB to the forum, semi new to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanGreen

Reaction score
Hello All

Been lurking through here for about 6 months.

Figured I should stop in and say hello and thanks. This is such a great community

I live in McKinney, Tx and started brewing a year and half ago. I went with a straight canned kit and it turned out good.

I then waited a year and attempted AG with absolutely no clue as to what I got into. I made something but I bit off way more than I could chew. I went back to partial extract with steeping grains. For some reason I didn't bother using the wort chiller to cool it down and inadvertently made a sour beer.

It was at that point I resolved myself to read as much as I can and to get it down,

I actually partnered up with a friend who was also into homebrewing and as we stand I have 3 beers fermenting all in different stages and all appear to be on track.

I did have one question, what are some of the recommended readings when it comes to home brewing. I'd like to explore the historical aspects and tradition of formulating recipes, i.e what makes and ESB and ESB and variations etc? Hope that makes sense

Thanks again

Welcome to the forum, I am to much of a nOOb to give any advice, have first batch in primary... :mug:

Get the "Classic Beer Style" Series #16- Pale Ale (yes, the ESB style is a Pale) You might also take a looke at some of Michael Jackson's books.

We should set up a brew or hangout day, would say swap brew day but still fermenting 1st..:rockin:

I'm always down for a brew day! :rockin:

Definitely need to set one up. My other brew partner, who I think lurks on here was think about setting up a collin country brewers type deal. Meet up somewhere frisco/allen/plano/mckinney and brew and drink.

I know Dennis at Franconia very well and wanted to approach him about hanging out or teaching us all a thing or 2

Whats everyones "level"? AG, extract etc.

Definitely need to set one up. My other brew partner, who I think lurks on here was think about setting up a collin country brewers type deal. Meet up somewhere frisco/allen/plano/mckinney and brew and drink.

I know Dennis at Franconia very well and wanted to approach him about hanging out or teaching us all a thing or 2

Whats everyones "level"? AG, extract etc.

I've been wanting to go to Franconia for a while, that would be awesome. I think a Collin County brewers deal would be cool (I'm actually in Denton County though :eek:).

I do primarily partial mashes and the occasional full extract.

Let's definitely do it!

I've been wanting to go to Franconia for a while, that would be awesome. I think a Collin County brewers deal would be cool (I'm actually in Denton County though :eek:).

I do primarily partial mashes and the occasional full extract.

Let's definitely do it!

I am in Frisco ISD so I guess I am not technically Collin either:)

I cannot recommend going out to Franconia on a Saturday highly enough. I have never met someone who cares more about their product than Dennis.

I'll talk to a few people and post on here and see if we can set something up

Welcome!

As far as reading up on historical information in regards to recipes, I strongly suggest picking up Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Beers" - it has exhaustive information on the science behind many different recipe styles, and is a great introduction to calculating IBUs and beer color - although it can be quite overwhelming, it's great for the inquisitive brewer.

Back