Question about racking and filtering.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkestdays

Reaction score
What is the best way to rack to either a secondary fermenter or a bottling bucket? I know that oxygen is bad at this stage, but when I siphon the beer and pass it through a funnel with a filter on it, I notice that the beer is getting a little aerated. Is this usually fine or should I use a different method? Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks!
-Chris

Why do you need the funnel? You should be waiting long enough for everything to settle out, then you just rack off the top of the sediment into the secondary or bottling bucket, making sure that the hose is at the bottom of the vessel, to minimize any splashing that may occur.

I don't actually need the funnel. The screen filter snaps on to the inside of it, so that's why I've been using it. I guess I could shop around for something different. Any suggestions?

Are you siphoning through a hose? When racking you should be siphoning from container to the other - either secondary or bottle. The funnel and the screen inside should not be employed at this point. You need a racking cane and a bottling wand.

Once you start your siphon, the tube end should stay under the surface of the liquid so as not to introduce oxygen. Get a longer hose if necessary to reach the bottom of your secondary or bottling bucket. Straining or filtering at this stage is not necessary, as it will settle out in secondary - but if you feel the need to, a hop bag tied around the cane end (the end in the primary) will do it without aerating your beer.

Ok, that makes sense. I've read before that you should filter at this stage, but I can see now why it is not necessary. I was just overly worried about nothing, which caused more work for me. Thanks for your help!
-Chris

I wouldn't worry about filtering at all. I don't, and my beers have come out clear after the appropriate conditioning period (except for my wheat, but it's not supposed to be clear). If you want to filter, many people will do this after the boil when you are adding it to your primary. I don't, I usually either siphon the wort off of the break material, or just dump everything right in. Just make sure when you rack, you are careful to not suck up the sediment at the bottom and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back