AG Success!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
Well, as some of you might remember my first attempt at AG tasted like plastic and I ended up tossing the batch. (First time I've ever done that!)

Well, I brewed up a batch of my Leviathan Ale last week and...it tastes GREAT! My efficiency for this brew and the plasticy SNPA were about 65%, not great, but not too bad.

Using that efficiency as my base, I brewed another SNPA clone (to make up for the tossed batch) towards the end of last week and hit my OG on the button. This week, I brewed yet another SNPA clone (someone wants it for a party) and my efficiency rose to 69-70%. I attribute this to longer lautering. I really waited a while with my MLT tilted to get as much wort out as possible.

I haven't tasted the second batch of SNPA yet, but I'm sure it's tasty!

:mug:

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! It's discouraging to dump a batch, and it's really hard to try again. I'm happy to hear that your next brews are on their way! :ban:

Efficiency is one of those things that will come and it's really minor. I mean, so if it stays at 70%, just use another pound of grain and it's fine. It's the other "stuff" that makes or breaks a beer, so I'm glad you have that licked!

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! It's discouraging to dump a batch, and it's really hard to try again. I'm happy to hear that your next brews are on their way! :ban:

Efficiency is one of those things that will come and it's really minor. I mean, so if it stays at 70%, just use another pound of grain and it's fine. It's the other "stuff" that makes or breaks a beer, so I'm glad you have that licked!

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about my efficiency only in that I'd like to get it dialed in so that I have consistency in my brews.

Up next is Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale for an upcoming Crawfish Boil.

I've been able to drink everything I've brewed thus far, thank goodness, but some of it was less than perfect that is for sure. My first AG was one of those sub standard efforts but consider all the different things you have to pay attention to. It's no wonder.

At this point I'm not sure how many AG batches I've got under my belt, but I'm definately in double digits. The process is very familiar to me now and I get through it with ease and little stress, very enjoyable. And now, because of that experience and with the help of the expert advice on this board, I'm producing beer that my friends rave about.

It just takes time... don't back down after the first attempt; it will probably not meet your standards... but you will improve with practice; and quickly.

Update:

I just kegged batch #3 (SNPA Clone) and it tastes great!

Ahhh, so glad.

I'm currently mashing Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale. :rockin:

Nice to see words of encouragement and tales of failure to success. I'm attempting my first AG this weekend (that is the plan) and am trying to finish up my Boil Keggle and HLT Keggle this week. Got my grains yesterday due to a mental health day from work and will be doing a hefe I found on the recipe database. I' sure I'll start a new thread come brew day

You'll find that your efficiency mysteriously rises the more AG's you do. You're going to love that EW HPA with the crawfish.

Nice to see words of encouragement and tales of failure to success. I'm attempting my first AG this weekend (that is the plan) and am trying to finish up my Boil Keggle and HLT Keggle this week. Got my grains yesterday due to a mental health day from work and will be doing a hefe I found on the recipe database. I' sure I'll start a new thread come brew day

No matter how prepared you are for your first AG, there will still be problems. Remember, RDWHAHB!

:mug:

Back