adjusting for boil off and trub loss.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tch1980

Reaction score
I've looked around and can't seem to find what I'm looking for after testing out my setup I'm boiling off 2 gal/hr when boiling 6 gallons, and leaving behind 1/2 gallon when draining my boil kettle. My question is do i need to adjust the amount of grain for the recipe or just add more water. or will adding more water just lower the OG. If there is a link i missed please copy and paste a link and I'll read up on it. thanks.

More water would lower the OG. You would need to add more fermentables to get the same target OG with a larger volume. Most brewing apps have a way to scale recipes up/down.

Jason

Why are you leaving a half gallon behind? Trub? I just dump it all in. Let it settle into the yeast cake and rack off above it.

RM-I'm not sure why i used 2 90's on my dip tube to leave the trub behind. I guess from the pics thats what I've seen used. also I just measured again and it's 5 1/2 cups which isn't too bad. Also i don't have a strainer on the dip so this could possibly be a problem too.

Jason. I'll find out where to type this stuff in beersmith and adjust for it.

Thanks guys I'm hoping to brew in the morning but just trying to make it good day. i haven't brewed in quite a few months and this is all new build. thanks again for the quick replies.

When I formulate my recipes with Beersmith I always do them for 5.5 gallons because the extra 1/2 gallon makes up for the amount I lose to the trub at the end when racking to bottle. Before I started doing this I was ending up with around 43 beers rather than 2 cases.

Adding water will lower OG and can make the final product taste a bit watered down, believe me I found out the hard way a few times.

Once your figure out your efficiency (if you have yet to do so) and have any brew software, just formulate everything for 1/2 gallon more to make up the difference.

I haven't figured out my efficiency yet I will have it tomorrow. I followed a recipe that figured for 70% so if im better than that it will help too. I'll have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back