What do to with a scratched bucket fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
SWMBO moved one of my plastic bucket ferementers and she filled it with a bunch of stuff and it scratched the inside. Man was irriated. Nothing ever touched the inside of that bucket for over a year besides beer, Oxyclean, & Starsan.

Well, I found a use for that bucket now. I'm going to use it to brine a 23 lb. turkey for Christmas dinner. Sweet, a dedicated brining bucket.

SWMBO still is going to buy me a replacement fermenter. Perhaps a Blichmann.... :D

I use one as a grist collector under my mill and another 2 I got from an old time brewer as bulk grain storage (use with gamma seals).

Everything can be repurposed in my brewery.

I've heard that scratches can harbor bacteria, but couldn't you use some ultra fine sandpaper or something to smooth them out...I mean paint won't even stick to surfaces that you've sanded with 800 grit sand paper because there's nothing for it to get a hold of, and I know you can get sand paper in the 2000+ grit range.

You can send ME all your scratched buckets. Mine are very scratched and I've brewed over 30 batches in them with no problems. Sorry, I just don't believe the bacteria in the scratches theory.

Dave R said:
You can send ME all your scratched buckets. Mine are very scratched and I've brewed over 30 batches in them with no problems. Sorry, I just don't believe the bacteria in the scratches theory.

+1

I say starsan can get in to any scratch well enough to rid it of nasties, would i bet a million dollars on it......no but a $30 batch of beer ...hell ya

i use one of my old ones to soak painted bottles in starsan solution, i think edwort found this out? the paint falls right off after drying out. i bought a couple 32 oz'ers of sol cerveza and had friends drink them and give me back the bottle they work great after de-painting.

Back