Stainless stell hop catcher (bird feeder)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be awesome for whole hops, but as far as pellets go I have a feeling that once they break up in the boil they would be able to escape. I work in a hardware store and we sell feeders that hold nyjer seed. Relatively speaking the holes are larger than one would think. Just an idea if you do end up purchasing it you might try to make it in to a hop blocker like the one that Blichmann makes.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

So that BM hopblocker, you can just hang that thing on the side of your kettle right?

TommyB said:
So that BM hopblocker, you can just hang that thing on the side of your kettle right?

No the hopblocker goes over your dip tube in the bottom of your kettle so when you drain your wort into your fermenter it won't let the hops through

The feeder "looks iffy" to me. The site says it's "COLOR" is stainless steel not that it is made from SS...@ the manufactures site they now sell "brushed nickel finish and the caps are polycarbonite. For $30.00 +SH it seems like a pretty big gamble.

Nyjer Mesh Feeder 10", Spruce

Stainless-steel mesh is perfect for Nyjer seed

Durable, stainless-steel mesh is just right for Nyjer seed and finches. It keeps the tiny seed in, yet your finches can cling and dine easily from anywhere on the feeder. Metal top and bottom complete the extra-strong, all-metal construction. An interior deflector keeps seed flowing. Spruce-green finish, 10-1/2 x 3-3/8 and holds 1-1/2 lbs.

from another site.....maybe I can find one locally to look at it....walmart?

We actually just got the bird feeder your talking about in to my work today. I checked it over there are some plastic pieces that are easily removed, the screen is stainless, as for the bottom it is not painted and it is some sort of cast metal looks like stainless but I'm not for sure. Also on the bottom the is a hole about 5/8 inch hole to mount the feeder to a pole. All in all for $30 it wouldn't be worth your time and money. I use the something similar to the previous post except I just drilled a hole through the PVC fitting and a dowel rod. It will cost you under $10 and about 5 mins of work to make.

Back