aeration problem when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZWyatt

Reaction score
I'm getting a little pissed off and frustrated. I ruined my last three batches. Luckily, they were mini-batches, but it still sucks. By the taste of it I can tell that they were aerated and oxidized, but I've been using essentially the same racking technique for at least twice this many batches and these are the first that have turned out this way.

Here's what I've been doing: I'm still using the Mr. Beer 'keg' as my primary, then 'racking' it into the secondary (2X 1-gallon jugs) using just the spout from the Mr Beer keg and no tube. Then, when I bottle, I use a regular siphon tube with pinch valve that goes directly into the bottles which have been primed with sugar.

Possible culprits: the first batch to turn out with a wicked cardboard taste was pretty obvious--it was still fermenting. I didn't take a hydrometer reading and there was still plenty of carbonation bubbling up which got a lot of air in the siphon tube, which translated to foaming in the bottle. This batch tasted the worst. But I'm wondering--how can it oxidize, if the gas in the tube is CO2, which has already been oxidized? At any rate, the next two batches also sucked ass, but I waited an extra week to ensure that they wouldn't have any carbonation going on before bottling. There was no foaming, hardly any splashing or anything, but they've still got a really nasty cardboard taste and are borderline undrinkable.

So I was wondering if getting a bottle filler would help this, or if you all have any other suggestions. I don't want to lose another batch to oxidation, especially now that I've upgraded to 5-gallon batches!!! Help!!!

I dunno if oxygenation is your problem. Can't say for sure what IS your problem, but it doesn't sound like oxygenation is. I've never used a bottling wand, and I don't have any oxidizing probs. IIWY, get rid of the whole Mr. Beer setup, get yourself a few better bottle carboys, and do it the right way. If you still have these problems, then we can talk.

I also doubt that oxygen is your problem. I use a wand and all turns out well. You may have the start of an infection. Aerobat comes to mind.

ok, you're just using a pour spout on Mr. Beer to move it to secondary? no tubing? if so, that's where any aeration/oxidation is occuring.

after about 24 hours of active fermentation you NEVER want to splash that beer, unless you're pouring out an infected batch. Treat it like a newborn baby.

otherwise I'd have to say some kind of infection, but couldn't tell you what type. it doesn't sound like autolyzed yeast or left over bleach based off flavors, nor esters or diacetyl.

malkore said:
ok, you're just using a pour spout on Mr. Beer to move it to secondary? no tubing? if so, that's where any aeration/oxidation is occuring.

after about 24 hours of active fermentation you NEVER want to splash that beer, unless you're pouring out an infected batch. Treat it like a newborn baby.

otherwise I'd have to say some kind of infection, but couldn't tell you what type. it doesn't sound like autolyzed yeast or left over bleach based off flavors, nor esters or diacetyl.

I would totally agree with you on that, but I've used that same method on two or three previous batches and they all turned out fine. Though I just use the spout with no tubing, I tip the carboy so that there's no splashing.

As for infection, it doesn't really taste like I'd imagine an infection to be. The guy at the local brew shop said that oxidation makes the beer taste like cardboard, which is exactly what it tastes like. And I've been pretty vigilant about my sterilization techniques.

I've already upgraded to standard brewing stuff, so hopefully this won't be a problem again.

When do you guys usually rack? When the wort has reached its final gravity? Because these last few batches have all reached their final gravities yet were still carbonating, which I believe might be the culprit for the aeration.

malkore said:

I would totally agree with you on that, but I've used that same method on two or three previous batches and they all turned out fine. Though I don't use any tubing, I do tilt the carboy while the wort is being slowly poured in so as not to splash.

As for infection, it doesn't really taste like I'd imagine an infection to be. The guy at the local brew shop said that oxidation makes the beer taste like cardboard, which is exactly what it tastes like. And I've been pretty vigilant about my sterilization techniques.

I've already upgraded to standard brewing stuff, so hopefully this won't be a problem again.

When do you guys usually rack? When the wort has reached its final gravity? Because these last few batches have all reached their final gravities yet were still carbonating, which I believe might be the culprit for the aeration.

Back