My Keezer build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5DollsBrewery

Reaction score
Thanks for the inspiration of several of you around here I decided to tackle a Keezer build for a late Xmas gift from my bride.

I bought a 7.2CF freezer from Home Depot for under 200 bucks delivered to my door only problem is that it's white. I'd like to change that in the future but not quite sure how to go about that to make it look clean and professional.

My wood working skills are a little lacking to say the least. so I just made a simple box and beefed it up with pocket screws and some L brackets.

I drilled 7/8" holes for the shanks as this was what was recommended by others and it was a perfect fit!

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3755.jpg

I stained the box with a dual poly/stain mix from minwax. worked great with no huge issues. As I said before this was a first for me so I didn't go with mitered corners etc.

I installed the Love temp controller on a Stainless steel light switch bracket to kinda clean up its look as just in the wood itself was lacking in my opinion.

I put some 1/2 inch styrofoam paneling on the inside of the wood for some insulation. I know it's not as good as the foam panels that some others are using but this is my first go round. I can always change and adapt later.

I also screwed casters into the bottom. After doing it I kind of regret it as I don't think I really need them. After talking to a few people with keezers, they never really move them so kind of a waste.

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

and here's some more pics of the finalish thing...I do wish I had went with a 20# co2 cylinder also am planning a nitro set up when I obtain a few more cornies but we shall see how that goes.

I know this thing is a project in progress and probably won't be finished totally but it is working great so far. Plus the wife loves the instant access to her favorite brews.

I installed quick change Sanke fittings for commercial kegs and tapped some Shock Top for her as the first beer.

I ended up having to us 10ft of 3/16"ID tubing to finally balance the thing right but it's working great so far!

THanks again guys for the motivation and advice etc. This place is great!

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

that controller looks good.
Will you be able to put kegs on the hump? or are you going to use that area for the CO2?
I think i had to do a 2x8 on my keezer to allow me to use the hump area for a keg.
I have a freezer like yours and I was thinking i was going to need a 2x8 to use that area of the hump for a keg, but I havent mesured it yet.
I have my keezer sitting on wheels and do move mine pretty routinly just so i can get in it better and clean under it. depending on where you will be keeping yours you may not have needed the wheels.

Thanks!

Yeah I screwed up my measurements, you're definitely gonna need to do a 8" collar to use the hump for kegs. but maybe when I change it in the future. The controller wiring was a bit of a pain for me as I'm electrically challenged and have a strong respect of things that go zap but ended up being a non issue with some of the wiring diagrams people have put on here.

I also screwed casters into the bottom. After doing it I kind of regret it as I don't think I really need them. After talking to a few people with keezers, they never really move them so kind of a waste.
If you are putting commercial kegs in your keezer, you want the casters. I put 1/2 barrels in my keezer and the wheels help tremendously. I pull my truck into the garage backwards, put the tail gate down, then roll the keezer right up to the back of the truck. Lower the 1/2 barrel in and roll the keezer back.

Back