regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I just picked up 4 corny kegs and a regulator from someone who had a soda dispensing set up. Everything is in good condition BUT the regulator has a high pressure gauge on it for the dispensing. Can I just switch the gauge to a low pressure one or is it the wrong type of regulator?Even if I had to toss the regulator it was still a good deal... I am completely clueless about kegging so far.

If I understand the question correctly... Do not swap the HP guage for a LP one, this would be dangerous as the LP ones would not be designed for tank pressure. What you most likely want to do is add a LP guage on the LP side of the regulator. Usually regulators have 4 "holes", 2 HP (generally 1 for the tank inlet stem & 1 for the HP guage) and 2 LP (generally for a LP outlet & LP gauge). Can you post a photo of the reg so we can advised better of what you should do?

Sorry, this has BOTH regulators. The high pressure one for the tank that tells you when to get it filled and the other one for the dispensing pressure. The issue is that the dispensing one reads 50...100...150...etc rather than 5-10-15-20. Can I replace that one with one that just reads in smaller increments. yes I can get a pic, but it is outside in the brew shed and I am in the nice warm house lol.

IMAG0095.jpg

the regulator

IMAG0094.jpg

THE HIGH PRESSURE TANK GAUGE

IMAG0093.jpg

THE LOW PRESSURE DISPENSE SIDE...THE ONE I WANT TO REPLACE

just make sure that when you adjust the regulator to the lowest setting, you can easily adjust it for low numbers (ex: when you start to add pressure, the low pressure gauge doesn't automatically spike to 25 psi, and you can bring it down lower). If that were the case, and you put on a lower rated gauge, you may ruin the gauge by over-pressuring.

Even so, you still risk over-pressuring a lower rated gauge if you put one on. I would suggest that you do swap it out, but put a pressure release valve that opens at 60 psi, so you don't accidentally over pressurize the gauge.

I would assume the regulator is able to get to 150 psi or so. Kegs are rated at 130 psi I think, so a pressure release valve would be very necessary.
There's also the chance that the gauge was already swapped out, and the regulator can't reach as high of a pressure as the gauge says. Try hooking it up and seeing what the max pressure really is.

just make sure that when you adjust the regulator to the lowest setting, you can easily adjust it for low numbers (ex: when you start to add pressure, the low pressure gauge doesn't automatically spike to 25 psi, and you can bring it down lower). If that were the case, and you put on a lower rated gauge, you may ruin the gauge by over-pressuring.

Even so, you still risk over-pressuring a lower rated gauge if you put one on. I would suggest that you do swap it out, but put a pressure release valve that opens at 60 psi, so you don't accidentally over pressurize the gauge.

I would assume the regulator is able to get to 150 psi or so. Kegs are rated at 130 psi I think, so a pressure release valve would be very necessary.
There's also the chance that the gauge was already swapped out, and the regulator can't reach as high of a pressure as the gauge says. Try hooking it up and seeing what the max pressure really is.

no co2 right now. I will give a test when I can.

Back