Rubber ring in the barley crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malric

Reaction score
So I just finished milling about 17LB for a brew and realized that the rubber ring from my barley crusher is in the crush somewhere. Sift or leave it?

Mine did the same. Still works fine. I found mine pretty easy, but wouldn't worry to much about it.

Leave it, but don't make anything with those spent grains!!

Mmm... spent grain bread with rubber

So why is the ring used for? Mine came off last batch and everything seemed to work fine. does it need to be replaced?

My guess is that they put it in there to set the spacing of the rollers. I just cut mine out after the first or second time that I used it.

It is there to ensure that something is engaging the free roller. Which is usually not an issue so long as there is grain in the hopper but, it does help to reduce the risk of the mill getting jambed by moving both rollers.

You will most likely be fine without it but, if you find you get a lot of jams try getting a replacement from the faucet parts sections of local big box home store.

It probably would only take a minute to dig around and find it, but if you can't find it don't worry about it..

I believe the o-ring is only there to allow the manufacturer to verify that neither roller is binding once the mill is fully assembled...

Cheers!

GilaMinumBeer said:
It is there to ensure that something is engaging the free roller. Which is usually not an issue so long as there is grain in the hopper but, it does help to reduce the risk of the mill getting jambed by moving both rollers.

You will most likely be fine without it but, if you find you get a lot of jams try getting a replacement from the faucet parts sections of local big box home store.

Cool thanks

Back