Adding Fermentables into Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostsr20

Reaction score
I'v been searching and reading through the forums for a while now but still have a few questions.
I'm looking to add 1.5lbs of Dark Belgian Candy Syrup to my Primary. I understand that it needs to be boiled with a little water first and I also plan to put in some more yeast nutrient at this time.

My question is about measuring the gravity change so I can get an Idea of what I added. Do I stir lightly to mix? I'm guessing no oxygen should be stirred in? Should I try to scrape the bottom of bucket to get yeast back moving?
Should I just not worry about the readings at this time and dump it in without stirring and just pay attention to the FG?

If you haven't made the beer yet put it into the boil kettle and forget about adding it to the fermenter. Otherwise I would calculate the gravity...you know what your volume is, you know how many points the sugar will add so its easy to get a accurate idea of what the gravity will do. To measure the gravity would require mixing it into the beer well enough for equal distribution, that would stir up the trub which would impact your reading.

It would not matter if you mix it or not, the yeast will take care of it.

No oxygen is right.

There is no problem with getting the yeast back in suspension.

Why not take a gravity reading of the syrup before adding it? You can take the reading and knowing the volume, you can figure out how many gravity points you are adding to the ferm.

Don't worry about stirring it in. Just add it to the fermenter and close it up again. It'll raise your gravity by .010 in a 5 gallon batch. Just add .010 to whatever your OG was.

Don't worry about stirring it in. Just add it to the fermenter and close it up again. It'll raise your gravity by .010 in a 5 gallon batch. Just add .010 to whatever your OG was.

Ok, thanks everyone thats kinda what I figured the consensus would be. Austins stated around a .010 addition to gravity also.

I didn't add it in initially because I was already aiming for 1.075 and actually hit 1.078 so I just wanted to give the yeast a head start before completely putting them through their paces.

EDIT: Also curious as to what you more experienced brewers think about the timing of adding it. At peak Ferm, just past peak, at a specific drop from your OG? Thanks all. I love this place.

In my saison, I added my sugar just as the krausen was beginning to fall. So, just as primary fermentation was wrapping up. The yeast just chewed right through the sugar.

Adding simple sugars in the primary is a great way to do it with a bigger beer like this. It lets the yeast work through the more complex sugars first before moving on to the simple ones. Helps avoid sticking your fermentation.

Back