Steelhead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punity

Reaction score
Hello fellow HBs just wanted to put out a feeler see how many of yall fish for steelhead? Im new into it and caught my first one of the year yesterday only been at it for 2 seasons now so still learning but I do love fish stories and tips and tricks.

ForumRunner_20130130_114216.jpg

Nice lookin' fish...still a bit cold here to go fiishin' (I don't ice fish)...can't wait to get out when it warms up. No Steelies in Utah, but we got some world class fisheries.

I do hope you cooked that sucker up and didnt throw it back (or worse, mount it on the wall).

Steelhead is amongst the most amazing fish I have ever tasted.

Congratulations on your first Steelie this season!
I fondly remember Washington Steelhead and those from the Great Lakes as well.

I live on the wrong coast for steelhead. We do have a "run" of them out of one of the lakes up a river in Va. I have never tried for them. Spent today musky fishing. No luck for me but my buddy did land a 42incher.

Hello fellow HBs just wanted to put out a feeler see how many of yall fish for steelhead? Im new into it and caught my first one of the year yesterday only been at it for 2 seasons now so still learning but I do love fish stories and tips and tricks.

Nice fish! Nice boat! What did you catch it on? I've fished both the Salmon and Clearwater Rivers in Idaho for steelies back in college. We slayed them on a pretty regular basis drift fishing with Sammy Specials.

Subsailor said:
Despite all my years around the Great Lakes I have never caught a Muskie.

I have only ever seen people fishing for them when in Minnesota. Funny thing is I looked through some old pic of when I was like 10 and noticed the "pike" I caught was actually a small tiger Muskie.

I feel bad that I made my dad clean that thing... Not a one of us knew jack about pike at the time; we were all trout and bass.

I have only ever seen people fishing for them when in Minnesota. Funny thing is I looked through some old pic of when I was like 10 and noticed the "pike" I caught was actually a small tiger Muskie.

I feel bad that I made my dad clean that thing... Not a one of us knew jack about pike at the time; we were all trout and bass.

I've caught and eaten plenty of Pike when I was younger growing up in Michigan. Here in Alaska, they are an invasive species and there is no limit.

Something tells me that if you got a ton of those legal pike and smoked them, you could make incredible whitefish salad.

If you didnt know I was a New Yorker before, you certainly know now.

Reelale said:
Nice fish! Nice boat! What did you catch it on? I've fished both the Salmon and Clearwater Rivers in Idaho for steelies back in college. We slayed them on a pretty regular basis drift fishing with Sammy Specials.

Dr. Death clattertad. Ran plugs most of the daym

CreamyGoodness said:
Some might think it a sin, but I was given some by my inlaws's neighbor, and I made a red fish chowder. Glorious.

A sin? They must have never had smoked steelhead then haha.

Reelale said:

Also im in SW washington so a lot of coastal rivers right in my backyard

You need to get into fly fishing. Steelhead in your waters are why I know anything about fishing at all. Grand parents taught me to FF at 10. Been doing it all my life. They used to fish Wind River a lot.

I want to but i love the drift boat plug pullin, however my buddy does lot of PinRod fishing and he has a blast with that so im sure when i get old and wise in my ways ill move into Fly.

Oh yeah, one of my favorite things to do is steelhead fish. Streams at this time of the year in NW Indiana.

Here is my most recent. Caught four that day!

002.jpg

Don't do it!
Fly Fishing leads to other nasty hobbies, in particular Fly Tying. then you'll start collecting tying materials and looking over roadkills with a tyer's eye. The wife are start getting on you about what do you need all them feathers and furs and threads and stuff for?
Then, you'll think I can build my own split bamboo fly rod!

Not that I have closets full of things to support these other hobbies;)

No do it. It will make your life complete and bring happiness to everything you do... so long as you are fly fishing, getting ready to go fly fishing, or thinking about fly fishing.

Oh yeah, one of my favorite things to do is steelhead fish. Streams at this time of the year in NW Indiana.

Nice fish! Looks close to 18 lbs. From here.

Nice fish! Looks close to 18 lbs. From here.

Nah, it was between 12 and 13 though. We didn't actually weight it because we wanted to keep it in the best condition for releasing. We have some fish in the fridge and that big of a fish isn't the best for eating.

Thanks though, he was a nice fish indeed! And first cast of the day!

Nah, it was between 12 and 13 though. We didn't actually weight it because we wanted to keep it in the best condition for releasing. We have some fish in the fridge and that big of a fish isn't the best for eating.

Thanks though, he was a nice fish indeed! And first cast of the day!

Ah. The old extend your arms for the camera shot trick. I know it well. Beautiful fish nevertheless. And kudos for releasing it.

Good work on the steelhead. A awesome fish

I'm up on the Olympic peninsula and hoping to catch my first steelhead in the coming months.

eric19312 said:
Ok is this home fishing channel or HBTalk?

Let me help get you back on track...

What were you drinking when you caught that fish?

Keystone light the fishing beer of choice/ yukon jack permafrost.

codfather said:
Good work on the steelhead. A awesome fish

I'm up on the Olympic peninsula and hoping to catch my first steelhead in the coming months.

Great rivers up there I hope to fish some day

Subsailor said:
Don't do it!
Fly Fishing leads to other nasty hobbies, in particular Fly Tying. then you'll start collecting tying materials and looking over roadkills with a tyer's eye. The wife are start getting on you about what do you need all them feathers and furs and threads and stuff for?
Then, you'll think I can build my own split bamboo fly rod!

Not that I have closets full of things to support these other hobbies;)

Haha im starting to tie my own jigs and its totally not addictive.

lowtones84 said:

Nice fish good looking spawner. Ive always been told throw back Natives and the dark ones

Yeah I believe they're just getting ready to spawn here too. Plus I have a pretty high respect for these fish, so if we have a little to eat and it seems like they can make it, I put them back in. This guy took a couple minutes to revive because it was a long, hard fight (thought he got my caught on a log at one point) but he swam away perfectly.

lowtones84 said:
Yeah I believe they're just getting ready to spawn here too. Plus I have a pretty high respect for these fish, so if we have a little to eat and it seems like they can make it, I put them back in. This guy took a couple minutes to revive because it was a long, hard fight (thought he got my caught on a log at one point) but he swam away perfectly.

Running 40lb braid on an 8ft uglystik makes it pretty easy to reel em in haha but nothing ive found is better then watching a plug rod get slammed so cool to see.

Yea my buddy the guy in the photo is a heavy heavy ChromeDomer hes almost filled his catch card and filled his plus half another last year

When I went on the salmon river in Polski, NY years ago (as a man who is part Polish-American, it kinda annoys me that they pronounce it "pole-ask-eye") every so often someone would hook a steelhead and you would hear 80% of the reel let out all at once. "You got a chrome unit!" the guide would shout... every... damn... time...

He also thought it was really funny when the male salmon shot fish sperm on my shirt. I'm not a fan of his....

/rant

When I went on the salmon river in Polski, NY years ago (as a man who is part Polish-American, it kinda annoys me that they pronounce it "pole-ask-eye") every so often someone would hook a steelhead and you would hear 80% of the reel let out all at once. "You got a chrome unit!" the guide would shout... every... damn... time...

He also thought it was really funny when the male salmon shot fish sperm on my shirt. I'm not a fan of his....

/rant

haha hey the fish was just giving you a friendly hello.

Haha yeah they will do that to ya sometimes...but yeah that sounds like an annoying guide.

I'd really like to get out some year and do some steelhead fishing. Went out a few years back with my dad and had a 10 minute fight with a medium sized chinook. It was the quickest fight of the day and I was TIRED at the end of it!

That was a COLD and EARLY morning taking a riverboat up the Pere Marquette before dawn. It was so dark and foggy that morning I have no idea how the guide could power that boat up the river without hitting a tree or stump or something. But we got to the first hole in time to light up a few glow-in-the-dark lures before light.

Homercidal said:
I'd really like to get out some year and do some steelhead fishing. Went out a few years back with my dad and had a 10 minute fight with a medium sized chinook. It was the quickest fight of the day and I was TIRED at the end of it!

That was a COLD and EARLY morning taking a riverboat up the Pere Marquette before dawn. It was so dark and foggy that morning I have no idea how the guide could power that boat up the river without hitting a tree or stump or something. But we got to the first hole in time to light up a few glow-in-the-dark lures before light.

Glow balling is fun cant see crap haha

I like to use a hot shot, or back bounce some salmon eggs with some green yarn tied above the hook. I've even had good luck with prawns.

Latest posts

Back