Tonight! Lost Abbey and Goose Island

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
Tonight, among other things (I think I'm in for a homebrew-heavy evening) I will be drinking a Lost Abbey Gift of the Magi from 2007 and a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout from this year. I will be cellaring the other 3 bottles of the GI beer, and I have another bottle of the LA beer for next year.

LA:
Gift Of The Magi - The Lost Abbey - BeerAdvocate

GI:
Bourbon County Stout - Goose Island - BeerAdvocate

I also have a can of Ten Fidy that will meet its maker tonight. I wish I had brought home the Nogne-O beers I got this week, but those will have to wait for another night.

The Goose Island was local, actually. It seems to be in our market, although I am sure its distribution is limited, as it is 20 dollars a four pack.

I got it at a store called Windmill Farms.

Man, what a beer though. I split a 12 ounce bottle and sipped it for 30 minutes. Amazing vanilla, bourbon, oak, no head retention whatsoever (but that's not a surprise with a 13% beer!)

The Lost Abbey was not very good. They're hit and miss on their regular releases.

Nice. We just started getting Port and Lost Abbey in Chicago. I have a few Port bombers in the pantry, but haven't gotten to them yet. Haven't picked up any Lost Abbey yet. Hopefully the Bourbon County is better this year. I found the ones I tried last year to be pretty harsh. Overpowering whiskey up front.

RFTC rules!

Nice. We just started getting Port and Lost Abbey in Chicago. I have a few Port bombers in the pantry, but haven't gotten to them yet. Haven't picked up any Lost Abbey yet. Hopefully the Bourbon County is better this year. I found the ones I tried last year to be pretty harsh. Overpowering whiskey up front.

RFTC rules!

I actually like the Port beer a LOT more than the Lost Abbey stuff. Unless you get to the things like cuvee de tomme and red poppy. He makes amazing sour beers, but I am not fondof a lot of their normal releases.

The Bourbon County has a ton of bourbon flavor in it, but I love that. I didn't think it was too harsh at all.

And yes, RFTC does rule.

Back