Mint Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I'm wanting to add some mint extract to an Imperial Stout when I put it in the secondary. I don't want it to end up tasting like mouthwash and I know that stuff is really strong. My question is: for a 5 gallon batch, how much extract should I add? I just want it to have a hint of mint in the finish.

I haven't done this yet, but my hefeweizen is in secondary, I made a orange vanilla extract to add to it. This is what I'm planning to do, according to advice I heard on the Jamil Show. Wait until bottling time, and take a small 2 oz sample out of the bottling bucket. Add a drop of the extract, smell it and taste it. If it needs more, take another sample and add more. If it needs less, take another, larger sample and add a drop. If you figure out, say, that 2 drops per 2 oz is good, then do the math and figure out how many drops for your batch. Mint stout sounds pretty good!

I haven't done this yet, but my hefeweizen is in secondary, I made a orange vanilla extract to add to it. This is what I'm planning to do, according to advice I heard on the Jamil Show. Wait until bottling time, and take a small 2 oz sample out of the bottling bucket. Add a drop of the extract, smell it and taste it. If it needs more, take another sample and add more. If it needs less, take another, larger sample and add a drop. If you figure out, say, that 2 drops per 2 oz is good, then do the math and figure out how many drops for your batch. Mint stout sounds pretty good!

That is by far the best idea I've heard. Thanks.

a little off topic, but how would boiling mint in with the hops work? Personally I like using the real thing as opposed to extracts when possible.

+1 maybe you can steep mint leaves in secondary

I was considering this, but I don't want them to not give off enough flavor and then it not turn out the way I want. I didn't really want to use extract either, but for this first trial, I want to have something good on tap for this summer. I'll mess around with it and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back