Potassium Sorbate amount for sweet cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerClaw

Reaction score
Is there a consensus as to how much Potassium Sorbate to add per gallon for sweet cider? Do I have to added potassium metabisulfite with it and how much? Is there a certain dosage timing for all the additives?

Currently I have 3 gallons of cider that is ready for a secondary transfers. The only things I have added are ec-1118, pectic enzyme & yeast nutrients. My plan is to add a gallon of 100% black cherry juice, bottle and not have the yeast consume the cherry juice.

Yooper has posted her portions a few times. You might try the search to pull them up. (I'm not saying you didn't use this, I just don't know off hand what they are.)

Yooper has posted her portions a few times. You might try the search to pull them up. (I'm not saying you didn't use this, I just don't know off hand what they are.)

I've yet to find that post here, I keep coming up with people looking to ferment cider with Sorbate in it already though. Other places I am getting quite a variation in amounts to add. I'm looking to make sure it doesn't ferment in the bottle but I also don't want to ruin the taste at the same time.

How to Sussreserve

Rack to a fresh carboy leaving all the settled out yeast and sediment behind.
This is KEY because kmeta and sorbate do not kill yeast, mearly inhibit further yeast reproduction.

Add:

1/2 tsp potassium sorbate per gallon.
1/4 - 1/2 tsp TOTAL potassium metabisulfite for the batch. (5-6 gal batch)

Add and stir gently. Give the cider 4-7 days.

Then rack to a fresh carboy and sweeten. If no re-fermentation occurs in the next few days you can move on to bottling. If planning on kegging/force carbing, you can rack to the keg instead of a carboy.

This my proven method for Sussreserve.

As to how much to sweeten, that is very subjective. You should pull a sample, taste, and add sweetener slowly to your desired level. Then scale up for the entire batch.

I sweeten with more cider, usually in a ratio close to 1:5 or 1:6 (1 gal cider to 5 gal hard cider).

Its very easy to make a sweet cider... OR a carbonated cider. But a bit tricky to make one that is BOTH. To do that you must sweeten, then artificially carb (force carb), or sweeten with something non-fermentable (like splenda or xylitol), and bottle carb with priming sugar.

Orginally taken form here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/help-my-cider-bitter-447120/

How to Sussreserve

Add:

1/4 - 1/2 tsp TOTAL potassium metabisulfite for the batch.

Then rack to a fresh carboy and sweeten. If planning on kegging/force carbing, you can rack to the keg instead of a carboy.

As to how much to sweeten, that is very subjective. You should pull a sample, taste, and add sweetener slowly to your desired level. Then scale up for the entire batch.

I sweeten with more cider, usually in a ratio close to 1:5 or 1:6 (1 gal cider to 5 gal hard cider).

Its very easy to make a sweet cider... OR a carbonated cider. But a bit tricky to make one that is BOTH. To do that you must sweeten, then artificially carb (force carb), or sweeten with something non-fermentable (like splenda or xylitol), and bottle carb with priming sugar.

Haha, I was like I knew I saw it around... I do have to admit I sent the OP after the wrong poster... Sorry about that.

Many thanks! Should I dose with potassium metabisulfite at secondary transfer and then again when I add the cherry juice and sorbate? After secondary transfer I am going to cold crash until it is clear. So the cherry/sorbate will not be done for about a month. Currently the cider has no sulfites in it.

Many thanks! Should I dose with potassium metabisulfite at secondary transfer and then again when I add the cherry juice and sorbate? After secondary transfer I am going to cold crash until it is clear. So the cherry/sorbate will not be done for about a month. Currently the cider has no sulfites in it.

In a5 gallon batch that amount of sulfite will be fine with just one application. If you feel like adding 1/4 of a teaspoon more at bottling time you could do so but, I would not add any more than that. :)

Orginally taken form here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/help-my-cider-bitter-447120/

How to Sussreserve

Add:

1/4 - 1/2 tsp TOTAL potassium metabisulfite for the batch.

Then rack to a fresh carboy and sweeten. If planning on kegging/force carbing, you can rack to the keg instead of a carboy.

Any advice on trying to make a granny smith type tasting cider? I've fermented 2 gallons of Motts Apple Juice and racking to fresh carboy now for the sorbate. Was planning on adding a little nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar but going for that Granny Smith taste what should I do to achieve?

Adding malic acid will increase'tartness' but the granny smith flavor is much more than that. I am really not sure you can make it without using granny Smith apples. ... or adding an artificial substance such as a flavor extract (many home brew shops carry small bottles of this). Or you could go the redneck way and toss in some Jolly Ranchers! Lol.

Any advice on trying to make a granny smith type tasting cider? I've fermented 2 gallons of Motts Apple Juice and racking to fresh carboy now for the sorbate. Was planning on adding a little nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar but going for that Granny Smith taste what should I do to achieve?

Use Granny Smith apples?

Latest posts

Back