Crash cooling and dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I brewed an APA on 6-23, racked to secondary on 7-3, and dry hopped on 7-4.

I open it up this evening and took a whiff, smells great.

So my question is when is dry hopping 'done,' I know a lot of people do it for 2 weeks. Will crash cooling this effect dry hopping?

Also, I have never crash cooled anything...I now have control over my temps and would like to finally produce a clear beer. Is there a good rate to do this? I am at 60F as we speak...where should I bring it down to? How long? If I bring the temp back up will this defeat the purpose? Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks

How long are you planning on keeping it in secondary?

All of my beers have been crystal clear after a month in the bottle (Except for the hefe's, of course!). They were much less clear after a mere 2 or 3 weeks.

Patience I say!!!

As for crash cooling, I think it should be ok. chemically speaking, cooling generally just slows processes down. I can't imagine it having much of an effect.

Damn Squirrels said:
How long are you planning on keeping it in secondary?

All of my beers have been crystal clear after a month in the bottle (Except for the hefe's, of course!). They were much less clear after a mere 2 or 3 weeks.

Patience I say!!!

I want to brew Saturday. So I will need to get it out of the fermentation fridge then. I might move it to the kitchen counter and bottle Saturday night or Sunday.

That will make 12/13 days in secondary.

Beerrific said:
I want to brew Saturday. So I will need to get it out of the fermentation fridge then. I might move it to the kitchen counter and bottle Saturday night or Sunday.

That will make 12/13 days in secondary.

Ok that's fine. Now bottle them and don't touch them for a whole month!!!!!! You'll have clear beer. The yeast has to do more than settle... it has to pack itself in good and tight....

I crash cooled my Stone IPA clone for a couple weeks before I got around to kegging it. I dropped 1 oz. of Centennial in a stainless herb ball in the keg. Worked like a charm. Tasty stuff. Gonna have to bottle some for some competitions coming up.

Back