Cooper's Wheat - First Homebrew Advice Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished starting my first batch of home brew: Cooper's Wheat.
Tell me that I'm OK so far.

I used one can of Cooper's Wheat and 2 lbs. of Spraymalt Extract (55% Wheat/45% Barley). I boiled this for 10-15 min in 2 gallons spring water. I added this to 3 gallons of spring water in a 6 gallon glass carboy and added the yeast that I had dissolved in 1/3 cup of sanitized water at 90 degrees with about a teaspoon of honey. The wort was about 90 degrees when I added the yeast (which may be too warm??). My SG at 90 degrees was 1.040.

I have it with blow-off tubing now and plan to switch to a fermentation lock in about 3 days. After fermenting for about two weeks, I plan to bottle after adding 3/4 cup of corn sugar.

So, did I hurt anything by adding the yeast to the wort at 90 degrees instead of at a cooler temp?

Do my plans (blow off tube x 3 days, Ferm lock x 11 days, bottle with 3/4 cup corn sugar) sound about right? Should I do this based on time or on some specific change in SG?

How long do I need to leave in the bottle before drinking?

Thanks from a newbie

90F is way to high. I made the same mistake on my first brew (Coopers European lager) and my end result definitely had off flavor taste which faded with time). You have to control your pitching temperature to what is recommend for the type of beer you are doing and the type of yeast you are using. You should also pay attention to the fermentation temperature and with proper time you will make drinkable beer.

I think you did fantastic on your first brew. 90° is a little high but it won't hurt your yeast. Get it cooled down and keep it down for fermentation and all will be well.

Yes, you should time it by gravity reading. It will probably be done in 11 days but 14 would be better. I like to let the yeast clean up their waste for awhile after it's fermented.

For carbonation, leave the bottles at 70° for 3 weeks. Yes, it's okay to try them before but they probably won't be carbed.

Welcome to HBT!

I think you did fantastic on your first brew. 90° is a little high but it won't hurt your yeast. Get it cooled down and keep it down for fermentation and all will be well.

Great. I already like you better than Pivzavod.

I hope it comes out ok. I like beer, but to be honest, I did it because my 22 year old son was excited about doing it with me. There's not much that makes a kid that age anxious to hang out with the old man. It also looks like a great hobby - lots of gadgets and you can drink your mistakes. Should go well with my other hobby (poker).

When your son is older, this will be one of the things he talks about as one of his best memories. Honest, kids get much better as they age. :D

It is a really addicting hobby and is best when shared with a loved one. I started with my hubby but surpassed him in brewing knowledge some time ago. ;)

I hope you decide to hang out and visit with us often. I don't have much of a life so I'm on here a lot. If I can't be brewing at least I can talk about brewing. The folks on HBT are the best and worth getting to know.

So now here we are 12 days later. Tentatively, I'm planning on bottling in 2 days. My SG is now 1.019 down from (a corrected) 1.044. The airlock bubbled actively for 3-4 days, then slowed down and (as far as I can tell) has stopped.

The beer is just slightly cloudy and smells pretty good. When I tasted it, it had a nice wheaty initial taste, but a bitter, alcohol aftertaste.

I'm going to check the SG Sunday and if it's not different, then we're good to bottle.

Sound OK?

Hi, Just wanted to tell you I too am a new brewer and just brewed my first batch last night. I also went with the cooper's wheat kit. The shop owner gave me 2lbs. of bulk wheat extract and a little orange colored pack of dry yeast. I boiled mine in 3.5 gallons of clean water for an hour though. He also gave me some crushed corriander to add to it in the fermenter. My OG was 1.047 at the corrected reading for 73F. This is the temp I also pitched the yeast at. He told me to take a spoonfull of wort and let it cool in a clean cup then add a little clean water. This is what I rehydrated the yeast in. The yeast starter was around 80F when I pitched it. I set the fermenter in a tub of water that has stayed about 65F ambient temperature for a few days. I figure with the activity of the yeast this oughta make the internal temp. a couple degrees higher? Anyway, sorry for the long post. I sure hope it turns out well. Maybe when yours is done you could send me a bottle or something and I will send you one of mine. Would be interesting to see how different they are given the similarity of ingredients but different brewing times, etc. Good luck!

I'd like to chime in and mention that Cooper's Wheat was my first brew after Mr. Beer. Thanks to advice on this board I added orange zest and coriander during boiling. I thought it made a good addition.

How did this ever turn out for you? Mine is all right, every time I taste it, it is better. Guess all those relax, have patience, let it age posts were right. Maybe by new years I will throw it all in the fridge for a few days and let everyone drink it up. Not the best I've ever had, far from the worst though!

Latest posts

Back