Willamette 7.5% AA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing tomorrow morning, purchased my hops from the new LHBS in town today, and just noticed that the Willamettes I purchased were labeled as 7.5% AA. Having not used the hop very much, I decided to do some research. It seems all the hop guides and online homebrew shops say Willamette is usually around 5-6%.

Is 7.5% common? Should I calculate my addition at 7.5 or something more common. I'm making a robust porter and really don't want to overdo (or under-do) the hops.

Thanks in advance!

If you are able to calculate it out I would. The program I use lets you change the %AA. I would calculate so that if you like the beer and you can not find the same %AA in the future you can use new calulation to get the same results. I just did a English Brown and used Willamette Pellets 6%AA for a calculated 22.7 IBU and I should have used a bit more (just a little). Now that I calculated it out I will be able to change it for my next batch no matter what the %AA I have. Good luck, rember it will be beer either way you do it.

Just received my latest batch of Willamette from Hop Union and they were 4.7% . unfortunately I didn't keep track of previous years hops.

7.5 % is really high,willamette is usually in the 4-6% range.Like the previous poster,my latest purchase came in today and was 4.75%.
I would recalculate for the difference if it were me.

FWIW- the current cascade crop came in really high this year too, 9-10% from what I have heard.I haven't seen any that high yet though.

FWIW- the current cascade crop came in really high this year too, 9-10% from what I have heard.I haven't seen any that high yet though.

Just bought a pound of cascade whole leaf that are labeled 9.1% and noticed the perles were like 10.7% so I would say that high alphas are not impossible for this years crop

This years alphas are very high. Direct hops had a crop of Ultra at 9%, it's usally 2-3%. The hops i've received from this years crop are awesome. It should be a really good year for hoppy beers.

Back